Can I splice the wire going to a low voltage LED under cabinet light?

Users who are viewing this thread

orf

Reaction score
I'm going to install low voltage under cabinet LED strip lights. I don't want to simply plug the transformer in an outlet but instead, I want to run the transformer to a switched outlet in the basement. I believe that the wire will only be carrying 12 volts dc once it leaves the transformer. I'm thinking that eventually the transformer will wear out and I won't be able to get a new wire up through the wall plus the wire coming out of the transformer is so thin I do not want to run it through the wall. Would I be safe cutting the wire between the transformer and lights and solder it to a heavier gauge bell wire which I could run through the wall? In the future, if I have to replace the transformer I could simply cut the wire and replace the transformer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you can do pretty much what you want with the low-voltage outlet. Make sure that the wire size is appropriate for the amount of current being supplied. I'd prefer to use stranded wire over solid, as it tends to bend easier without eventually fracturing.

Chandler33

Reaction score
I think you're doing the right thing. I'm sure everything will work as it should. But I did it a little differently. When I was renovating my house, I decided to consider a little fact. The thing is, I like to eat in the middle of the night. In spite of that, I'm a pretty skinny guy. Anyway, I needed a light that would bring me into the kitchen at night, so I would not wake up my whole family. I got a separate power supply for them. As soon as the lights go out in the house, these lights come on and give me a soft glow and make my way to the kitchen)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks