Can I solder drop ear with PEX already connected to shower valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY_Novice

Reaction score
Hi all, quick question - it looks like I messed up my order of operations. I would have rather soldered the tub spout (sweat drop ear 90 elbow) before putting on the PEX but I screwed up. Can I still sweat solder the drop ear with all this PEX connected to the shower valve? To be clear, I'm not soldering directly to the valve but on the downspout at the drop ear. I have a soldering heat shield and was more concerned about the heat transfering up to the valve and to the PEX rather than the pex drop lines in the vicinity of the flame.

If you do not recommend I solder, can I trust that the thread will tighten up to the same orientation (ie: if I take it off and solder, how am I certain the drop ear will be facing the tub and threads tight?)

20210718_183030r.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking no based on the title, but yes when I see your photo.

DIY_Novice

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4 and Terry. Any issue with dunking the joint in water afterwards to help cool down the pipe faster?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4 and Terry. Any issue with dunking the joint in water afterwards to help cool down the pipe faster?
You can wrap the high part of that pipe in a wet cloth or paper towel, to protect plastic above. Don't have water drip down to the really hot area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks