Can I skip the Sump Pump Basin??

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveB99

Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to install a sump pump in the basement of my condo. There has never been a sump pump here and it has leaked a couple times the last two years so time to put in a sump pump.

Here is my dilemma: The hole that was dug when the condos were built in 1986 is small. Here is a picture of it.

hole.jpg

The dimensions are 11†in diameter. The cement on the side goes down 5 inches. I need to make the hole 10†deep according to the manual.

My problem is they do not make sump pump basins this size it seems. My local plumbing supplier said he could find one 13†called the little blue but still too big for my hole. I do not want to get the jack hammer out.

So can I skip the sump pump basin and take the rocks out of the hole as you see above??

Will debris get in my pump if I don’t have a sump pump basin??

I am thinking dig down more than 10†and put in bricks for stabilization of the pump. Just stabilize the pump on the bricks at the bottom along with the pipes should work.

I bought at flotec pump at home depot that is vertical. Here is pic:

fp0s3250a.jpg

Thanks for any info.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You won't hurt anything digging deeper,as long as you don,t break another man made moisture barrier....Upper

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You are making too big of a deal about a little bit of concrete work. Do the job right and do it once. A concrete saw can make a nice clean square cut in the floor and when done it will look and operate as it should.

Any debris such as sand or pebbles can greatly shorten the life of a sump pump. The pump you've purchased is of poor quality and is not likely to last long pumping clean water, much less sand or dirt.

Rayh78

Reaction score
Do the same as I have a number of times in a crawl space. Just use a 5 gallon bucket. A 5 gallon home depot pail is 10†dia at the bottom and about 11 at the top and they even sell lids..
Just drill a lot of 1/8†holes in it. Takes about 5 minutes.
Check the pump float for when it cuts on then you will know what the minium height you need. I would still add a inch or two. Then leave part of the bucket sticking out of the floor so nobody steps on the sump pit. Or just cut the bucket to height.

Rayh78

Reaction score
Also if you want to use the lid but bucket is too tall, just cut the bucket in half and slip the top half over the bottom half to get your height. Still will last forever.

DaveB99

Reaction score
Ok. I got my ace hardware 5 gallon bucket. It barely fits in the hole and I am going to need to sledge hammer it in but I think its going to work. I also got some weed cloth to put on the outside. I am drilling larger holes 3/8" just because I saw a professional one and they looked larger than 1/8". So I am progressing here. I dug the hole deeper by taking out gravel so the hole is about 11" deep with ground water taking up about 2" at the bottom....

I first got the flexible tubing but am going to go with the hard pvc pipes because the manual says that helps stabilize the pump in the basin.

I hope the weed cloth won't rip because the bucket is so tight so we shall see. Still driling the holes in the bucket.

So I am getting there going el cheapo route so far.....

Rayh78

Reaction score
Ok. I got my ace hardware 5 gallon bucket. It barely fits in the hole and I am going to need to sledge hammer it in but I think its going to work. I also got some weed cloth to put on the outside. I am drilling larger holes 3/8" just because I saw a professional one and they looked larger than 1/8". So I am progressing here. I dug the hole deeper by taking out gravel so the hole is about 11" deep with ground water taking up about 2" at the bottom....

I first got the flexible tubing but am going to go with the hard pvc pipes because the manual says that helps stabilize the pump in the basin.

I hope the weed cloth won't rip because the bucket is so tight so we shall see. Still driling the holes in the bucket.

So I am getting there going el cheapo route so far.....

Sounds like you are on the right track.
But you are making the holes a lot bigger with 3/8. Then turning around and making them a lot smaller than mine with the weed cloth.
Maybe ones you see with 3/8" holes also had a layer of pea gravel around the basin.
Weed cloth may block with sediment. 1/8 to max 1/4" holes or maybe regular fiberglass window screening instead of your weed fabric.
Either way just being picky here and dont think anyway will be a problem for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks