Can I replace main stack by myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

K.C.

Reaction score
Hi all, a follow up question to a previous post:

I've got a cast iron main stack that's approaching the end of its life. I'm currently remodeling, so the main stack is exposed. Others suggested it's a good time to replace it. However all plumbers are booked out for many months, and by that point things will hopefully be drywalled in again.

So I'm wondering--how hard do you think it would be for me as a plumbing novice to replace just the long middle part of the cast iron main stack (that goes through first floor and finished attic), leaving the basement section (which could be accessed by a plumber in the future) and the section that penetrates the roof? There are no connections to it in that section, just one pipe with a bend.

I'm hoping it would be as easy as- take out cast iron in small sections, replace with PVC in as long of lengths as possible, tie in to existing cast iron with Fernco couplings. But maybe it's not actually that easy?

20211128_013036.jpg

First floor

20211210_182218.jpg

Attic

Attachments

• 20211016_194043.jpg
    20211016_194043.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That entire stack is just a vent. Its perfectly fine to leave it for the next 100 years.

If for some reason you do decide to remove it you want to start at the top and remove it in small pieces by cutting it with a ratchetting Snap Cutter/Soil Pipe cutter which are rentable. I like to tie a rope to each section I'm cutting so that it can't accidentally drop and take out a ceiling or hit a floor.

But that cast iron is in perfect shape. No reason to remove it at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks