Can I remove glue and primer from pvc?

Users who are viewing this thread

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
I cut a piece of 1 1/2" pvc right at an elbow and I want to put a new fitting on. However, there is some residual primer and glue on the pipe. I can't really cut anymore off due to it's proximity to a beam. Is there a way I can remove this glue and primer and put on a new fitting?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I cut a piece of 1 1/2" pvc right at an elbow and I want to put a new fitting on. However, there is some residual primer and glue on the pipe. I can't really cut anymore off due to it's proximity to a beam. Is there a way I can remove this glue and primer and put on a new fitting?

You can scrape off the glue and primer, and then redo the joint. Prime, then glue. I think you will be fine. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you cut the pipe RIGHT at the elbow, you'll need a special tool to ream out the pipe from the existing fitting OR, cut the elbow off, and start with the pipe from the other side with all new. If you do still have a stub of pipe coming from the fitting, as Terry said, scrape off the excess cement and you should be able to install a coupler to go to another piece of pipe and go where you want to with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't try to remove the old primer. All you are seeing of the primer is the dye. The old primer is already gone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks