Can I re-route drain line outside through the yard then back inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel Ems

Reaction score
I'd like to remodel our basement, but the drain line is in a very inconvenient location. It runs from an addition (on the left side of the picture) through the original foundation along a very long wall that would require some creative framing or loss of space.

Can the drain line be re-routed through the yard and enter the foundation at a different location? I'm sure this would be a lot of work, but it would make the remodel sooooooo much simpler.

y4mMPIdGwR2M4zAyZ4UMgj5Isg2_KHFaI-fVO_96JJmPUMiNEDdEmeK1_5A8jDxKCaOlA9HWkvpDlOMUiM_C9MlKsJC_fznKj8qsJh0WdE7teQinyth_BtVrpqBCFWyV7Cb8J3HOPnL4oyI_g4x1BwehH-9aTAX-QK_pLUFvzabt2zUOEXfgyRlYORfMXBU8JkH

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how much grade you can provide. On a 3" or smaller line, you need at least 1/4" per foot. If you can use a 4" pipe, you can drop that slope to 1/8", but that assumes the pipe it goes into is at least 4" as code does not allow you to go from a larger pipe into a smaller one with few exceptions (like the drain basket of a sink or a toilet to the main line).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks