Can I Plug Jets on a Jetted Tub to Make a Soaking Tub ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beski

Reaction score
Last year we bought a house that has a large Tub with Jets (not sure of Mfg). We had the home inspection back in March 2012 so the Tub was filled and checked for leaks and the motor was tested, but has NOT been used at all in the 18 Months since (although we periodically run the water for a few minutes).

There are times we would like to use it, but then after reading about the build-up of Bacteria and Bio-Film in the Pipes we quickly changes our minds !!

So, as an alternative to cleaning, is there a way to “Plug” the Jets & Intake to make it just a Big "Jetless" Soaking Tub so that no water goes in or out of the Pipes ? I am hoping there is some simple way to un-screw the Jets and install some type of rubber plug & gasket - maybe like this:

http://www.shawplugs.com/snap-tite-expandable-rubber-plugs-c-250.html

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Beski - these tubs can get quite nasty. The back sides of the jets will be fully sealed and quite hard to access without removing the tub completely.

You might be able to seal the jets with something like SikaFlex. Perhaps you could find a nice solid white cover and affect this on over top of the jet locations.

Could you upload a picture of what the jets look like? I would not want to try removing any attachments and would think you first should clean the lines, then drain the lines, then give it some time to dry (maybe a fan inside the tub for a couple days) then pack the hose lines and something like a sika flex.

When they build custom hot tubs often these jets are are just sealed in position with a waterproof sealant.

Have you tried calling the maker of the tub? Maybe they have a better solution???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You might find plugs for the water port of the jet, but the air piping would still fill with water when you used the tub. You may be paranoid. I had a jetted tub, but only used it a few times in 15 years and never had any problem with "bacteria".

Beski

Reaction score
Could you upload a picture of what the jets look like? I would not want to try removing any attachments and would think you first should clean the lines, then drain the lines, then give it some time to dry (maybe a fan inside the tub for a couple days) then pack the hose lines and something like a sika flex.

Have you tried calling the maker of the tub? Maybe they have a better solution???

OK, I will try to take some pictures and will look for the name of the Tub and call them !

You might find plugs for the water port of the jet, but the air piping would still fill with water when you used the tub. You may be paranoid. I had a jetted tub, but only used it a few times in 15 years and never had any problem with "bacteria".

But I thought I read here if you use a Jetted Tub you have to "Clean It Monthly" by filling the water and running it with some type of cleaner, then filling it up again to rinse it. If I knew I could just use it a few times a year without cleaning and without concerns than this wouldn't be an issue ?!?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks