Can I move my P-trap? It’s not centered to waterline and drain

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYERing

Reaction score
after 36yrs I’m finally replacing my main floor room vanity. Unfortunately the p-trap is situated to the left of the wall and its height is exactly the height of the cupboard bottom. I don’t want to have to cut the entire length of my vanity to accommodate the p trap, as it might impact the structural integrity of the vanity and also the vanity itself is already shallow.

What are my options?

I’ve read that I can’t move my P trap vertically, but can I run it horizontally behind the wall to the center of the vanity to line up with the waterline and drain?

Attachments

• 33C1B89B-0893-4AE3-8076-869F3D13A1BC.jpeg
    33C1B89B-0893-4AE3-8076-869F3D13A1BC.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 23EEDEBA-CFA3-40A2-9978-1BD9D319381C.jpeg
    23EEDEBA-CFA3-40A2-9978-1BD9D319381C.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 191

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You do have your work cut out for yourself. The water lines need to be moved and the drain line.
I see many of the new cabinets with built in shelves were not designed for the layouts in use over the last 100 years.
Lot's of changes in store. Can you raise the line in the wall? Kind of depends on how they ran it. If it's coming from a vertical in the wall, then maybe you can raise the santee in the wall. If it's off of a horizontal, then maybe you're adding venting with an AAV fitting.

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Would something like this work? If you choose the right slip-joint p-trap, you can make it work if the shelf does not interfere with the trap arm. Your pictures did not exactly say how the shelf altitude compared to the trap adapter altitude.

Otherwise, consider exchanging or returning that vanity.

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks