can I make a PEX drain with a 3/4" tee fitting, and a 3/4" Pex to CTS fitting and a 3/4" brass plug?

Users who are viewing this thread

zx6e

Reaction score
Can I make a PEX drain with a 3/4" tee fitting, and a 1/2" Pex to CTS fitting and a 1/2" brass plug?

I've had about the 13th leak with original Class 'M' 1980 copper and totally over it (or rather my water is). Doing complete PEX replacement and using copper crimp ring style and brass fittings only - (good riddance CU).

I need to replace this area under my water tank - (which has a shallow well pump mounted on top of it).

I am pretty sure that is a 1" outlet on the tank, so getting a 1" male threaded to 3/4" PEX crimp brass fitting.
Wondering about how to make the low point system drain (for repairs / work) to replace the old leaky one.

Was thinking either have a Tee 3/4" PEX (left) x 3/4" PEX (up) and 1/2" PEX (right) crimp fitting at the right corner there. Then crimp a short length of 1/2" PEX and then crimp to a 1/2" PEX x 1/2" female threaded NPT fitting. Then install a 1/2" brass drain plug. Something like that.

Would this be a reasonable plan? I can find nothing relevant to this query searching the internets! Thank you!!

(Middle pics shows old existing outlet / pipe under the tank which has short run to the other two pics. The wide shot is mid leak horrors but sort of shows the pump in relation to the tank with the same right to left orientation)

[/ATTACH] IMG_2873.JPG
Windham plumbing old plannig_1893.JPG
Windham plumbing old plannig_1894.JPG
Windham plumbing old plannig_1892.JPG

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think people would usually use a garden hose thread faucet (boiler drain) and hook up a garden hose to actually drain the water to somewhere.

zx6e

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. Is that a better route to go?
The current brass plug is what I use to currently drain the system for work on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
It has to be handier, and it is a good time to get rid of that galvanized reducer. I am thinking something like Everbilt VBDQTRG4EB

zx6e

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked it out, that looks sensible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks