Can I Have Two Separate Sump Pumps from Two Basins Discharge into One 2" Line Outside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I have considered this site as a very valuable resource for a number of years and for multiple issues. I really appreciate all the information. For someone who is pretty handy and who likes to do things myself, it is truly invaluable.
The title of my post basically says what I am asking. For a bit more detail, I have two sump pumps in my house in two separate basins which are located about 20' apart. Space is an issue, and I would like to pump both of them into one shared 2" line and then out of the house. I am able to pitch the 2" line a bit. At the connection of the second, downstream pump's discharge, I was thinking a "Y" fitting to connect that second discharge, with the angled leg of the Y facing up and using a 90 and 45 at the top of the second pump's discharge line in order to make it flow down into the Y. Almost like an upside down trap. Hopefully that makes sense. Both pumps have check valves near the pumps themselves. They run about once every few hours during rains. During a heavy rain, both pumps could theoretically be operating at the same time. The pumps are 1/2 hp and 3/4 hp and around 70 GPM. There would be about 45 ft of pitched run of 2" pipe from the first pump, and it would be about 25 ft. of shared from the second. Other than the 90s at the tops of the discharge (90 and 45 one the second one), there would be only one 90 and only on the first pump's section. The shared pipe would discharge outside about 6 ft away from the foundation and graded away from it.

Would this work? Does it have to be 2"? Can they share a 1.5" instead? I have seen a decent amount of information of sumps that share the same basin where they're not likely operating simultaneously, but I can't seem to find info on sumps in a row like this. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Reaction score
I added a rendering with elevation and overhead views that may (or may not!) help explain the issue. The elevation drawing does not show the first basin. My drawing skills aren't good enough for that.

Attachments

• Sump Detail.pdf
    131.2 KB · Views: 489

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are the pumps pumping? and what is their discharge rate? Any sized pipe is rated for a maximum flow rate.

Reaction score
You will need check valves on both lines before they join.

http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/ is a flow calculator. Any problem with freezing?
Thanks for the response and the link. I was already planning on having check valves on them near the pumps themselves, but are you saying you think I'll need check valves right before they join? No issues with freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks