Can I fix or should I replace my Toto fill valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

JacksonC

Reaction score
My 3 year old Toto Drake has a Toto TSU53A fill valve. The valve has started to make an intermittent noise like water leaking. It makes the noise for a few minutes, then stops, then starts again. If I gently lift the float in the valve the noise will stop, but then will begin again in a few minutes. Adjusting water level screw has no effect. Is there a fix or adjustment, or should I just get a $10 Korky QuietFill Platinum fill valve from Home Depot and install? Thanks.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Before I replace the fill valve, I would check whether you have a slow leak past the flapper.

Most of the time when people think the fill valve is defective, it's actually just doing its job keeping the tank full, and it is slowly-refilling because you have a slow leak into the bowl and need a new flapper, not fill valve. The fact that you have adjusted the height and it's still doing it means that that is probably your issue.

To check, two options: (1) Turn off the water to the tank. Use a pencil to mark the water level. Leave it overnight (or 12 hours). If you come back and it's lower, then you need a new flapper (and/or to clean where the flapper touches the flush valve seat) OR (2) Put some food coloring in the water in the tank. If you see some in the bowl after a few hours, then it's not the fill valve; resolve as in (1).

JacksonC

Reaction score
wjcandee, you're right. When water supply is turned off, water level slowly moves right down. Don't feel anything on the drain itself, so I'll try to replace the flapper. I have a Toto C744E toilet, and the manual says I have a THU 175S flapper, which Toto no longer makes. Toto's suggested replacement part is THU499S, which has a lot of complaints online for warping and not sealing. Korky tells me their Universal Flapper 2023BP is the right replacement and is designed for Toto, but it also has really bad reviews on Home Depot. Korky also says their model 3060 universal flapper will work. Do you have an opinion on any of these replacement flappers? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks