Can I cut top plate

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven JP

Reaction score
I need to run a 3 inch DWV pipe through the top plate in my house. I pretty much need to cut a whole 4 inch section out for this to work. It is an external wall on the gable side of my two story house. The pipe will be right next to the 2 by 4 on the right. The picture is the bottom of the second floor.

Also want to know about doing the same thing from second floor to attic.

Attachments

• 20190407_103747.jpg
    20190407_103747.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
On a load-bearing wall if the cut-out exceeds 50% of the width of the top plate, then the top plate must be reinforced with metal sized as per building code specifications, typically 16 gauge metal 1-1/2" wide extending 6 inches past the cut ends onto the remaining top plate.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Simpson Strong-Tie brand at a big box store; models MSTC or RPS are suitable. The generic name is "structural strap" if you are looking at other brands. A plumbing supply store would also stock the straps.

Steven JP

Reaction score
Simpson Strong-Tie brand at a big box store; models MSTC or RPS are suitable. The generic name is "structural strap" if you are looking at other brands. A plumbing supply store would also stock the straps.

Cut that top plate and kind of figured this might be a problem. Guessing I cant cut this joist that is on the outside wall? I plan on tieing a shower and a toilet into this vent pipe. Can I reduce it to 2 inches above where everything drains into?

Attachments

• 20190413_144754.jpg
    20190413_144754.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 20190413_144802.jpg
    20190413_144802.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 567
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks