Can I cut out and replace an S-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

leasol

Reaction score
I just inherited a home that seems to have been built and updated by my enemies. (They're blood relatives, which may or may not be the same thing.) The kitchen sink has an S-trap made of chromed brass that is now badly corroded, with a hole the size of a quarter. I'd really rather not pay someone to open up the floor and the wall to turn the S-trap into a proper P-trap. Could I use a pipe cutter or hacksaw to cut out the part above the floor and join a new s-trap with an air admittance valve? Is there another possibility that might work, or so I need to bite the bullet and call in a plumber and someone to repair the wall and floor when they're done?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can cut the pipe in the cabinet, add a santee with an AAV above it, and then use a standard p-trap for the kitchen sink. Much better than the old S trap.

leasol

Reaction score
You can cut the pipe in the cabinet, add a santee with an AAV above it, and then use a standard p-trap for the kitchen sink. Much better than the old S trap.
Thank you. But wouldn't a P-trap have to go into the wall? I'd still have the bit going down into the floor if I cut it. (I've no under sink cabinet, which makes maneuvering easier.)

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A wall is not necessary to create a p-trap. A p-trap has a vent to the roof or an Air Admittance Valve (AAV)

Something like this:
AAV.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks