Can I connect PEX directly to water meter in basement? (NJ)

Users who are viewing this thread

gil716

Reaction score
Hello, after learning a lot from this forum, I've decided to redo the main trunk in my house with PEX. I heard from a friend's plumber that the New Jersey code does not allow you to connect PEX directly to the water meter. Has anyone ever heard this before? I understand why a water heater needs to have copper, but why the water meter? I assume that I would have to extend the ground from the incoming pipe all the way to my cluster of copper pipes?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only time I have heard of this requirement was when the water meter was outside the house, then they require about 3' of copper from the meter before changing materials. The usual reason being that when the plastic line broke, you did not have to disturb the meter to fix it.

gil716

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. The meter is inside the house so perhaps he just forgot the part about being outdoors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks