Can I connect a 10' horizontal pipe to a vertical venting pipe? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

wyx

Reaction score
I have rough in pipe for my basement, it is a 2" pipe from root to basement floor. Now I need connect my sink to it, the pipe need go horizontally 6' and then 90 degree and another 4' to the rough in pipe, is it ok? do I need connect another pipe from the venting pipe to close to the sink?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
First question is WHAT is the purpose of this pipe that goes from the basement floor to the roof? Once that question is answered, and assuming you CAN connect to it, then that length is too far for a 1 1/2" pipe, unless you add a vent for it, and then you have to figure out WHERE you can connect that vent to. description and question are too open ended to give a proper answer.

wyx

Reaction score
First question is WHAT is the purpose of this pipe that goes from the basement floor to the roof? Once that question is answered, and assuming you CAN connect to it, then that length is too far for a 1 1/2" pipe, unless you add a vent for it, and then you have to figure out WHERE you can connect that vent to. description and question are too open ended to give a proper answer.

Thanks hj for the quick reply.
It is 2" pipe, not 1/2" pipe. The purpose of the pipe from basement floor to the roof should be a rough in for my basement renovation, I paid my builder to add rough in when they built the house.
See the image below, the 2" pipe on the right must the one they left for basement use, I checked, the pipe is dry inside. They left a 1' pipe to it so I can connect to it from the sink on the right, I am going to run about a 10' long 2" pipe from the sink, just wondering if I need connect another pipe.

13289124283_4fe0ae8979_c.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The pipe on the right, assuming there are no other fixtures draining to it on the floors above, is the drain and vent for a sink. If you plan on putting the sink 10' away, you must run a re-vent back to it, with any horizonal section being no less than 42" above the floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If that smaller vertical pipe is a vent, and the piece coming off of it is 2", the maximum distance you can be from that vent is 5' for a p-trap. But, if you run a revent vertical from the trap arm of the new sink, going up at least 42" above the floor (or 6" above the flood rim of the sink, whichever is higher), and run it back over to the vent line, then you can make that drain run as long as you want.

The only consideration I see is that that arm is already fairly high above the floor, and if you nee to run it 10' over to where you want the sink, it will go up another 2.5" minimum to maintain the 1/4" per foot slope required, and then it may be too high for your sink to install a trap. It looks like it's about the right height IF your sink was essentially installed about the end of the existing stub, and even then, it may be high if the sink is very deep. Some people like to use kitchen cabinets for the extra height in a bathroom (nice if you are tall), and that might give you a little more leeway over a 30-32" tall vanity.

wyx

Reaction score
Thanks cacher_chick, do you mean something like in the below image? the blue pipe is the venting pipe, and it need to be at least 42" above floor, could you explain a bit why? or maybe I should move it higher to place I unlikely need nail something to the walls
s7.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That is correct, but keep in mind, the vent also needs slope in case it gets any condensation in it - essentially, all horizontal pipes must have a minimum of 1/4" per foot slope, whether they are a drain line or a vent.

wyx

Reaction score
Thanks jadnashua. right, seems it is too high, it is 17' high now, I just measured the pipe of my main floor, the horizontal pipe from sink is only about 14'
Seems I need cut and glue tee myself? but even I do that, there is no place to fit in a checking hole?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would run the re-vent up high, near the joists where wall framing can be boxed around it if you ever finish the room. The sanitary tee in the existing line can be cut out and lowered.

A wye with a clean out fitting can be installed on the horizontal near the sink.

wyx

Reaction score
Thanks, I am wondering if this existing on is a tee or a wye? what is a wye with a clean out fitting like? do you have an image that shows such fittings so I can take a look?

13291502894_77cc20e354_c.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that the existing fitting into that stack is not the proper fitting, either. That fitting can be used for vents, but not for waste. I think you should have a Y there.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That is a sanitary tee, which IS the correct fitting for the drain line. It is 1-1/2" vent on top with 2" drain on bottom.

wyx

Reaction score
cacher_chick, you are right, it is a 1 1/2" venting and to a 2" drain pipe.
So I will connect a 1 1/2" venting pipe from the top. What about the pipe to the sink? should not it be 2"? not sure why the existing sanitary tee has a 1 1/2" sticks to the right, is it by some codes?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks