Can I combine brass/chrome and plastic p-trap segments?

Users who are viewing this thread

PK

Reaction score
I'm installing a pedestal sink in a tight alcove in a bathroom. Only about 4 inches of the horizontal drain pipe from the p-trap to the wall can be seen from any angle at all. Can I use a 1 1/4" plastic p-trap assembly for all of the hidden parts, and then use a chrome-plated brass wall tube or extension for the horizontal part going to the wall?

If so, is there anything special I need to know about connecting the plastic to the brass? Thanks.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Why not just use a chrome P-trap? Using a plastic trap and a chrome extension is just going to add more joints that are not needed.

John

PK

Reaction score
Why not just use a chrome P-trap? Using a plastic trap and a chrome extension is just going to add more joints that are not needed.

John

Since it's a very tight space, it's helpful to be able to install and remove the trap by hand rather than with tools. I'm not a professional plumber, so the only tools I have that fit the large nuts are huge wrenches. The sink pedestal and walls make using a huge wrench difficult, if not impossible.

Can the plastic / chrome arrangement be made to work?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The joint between the two materials MAY require a "huge wrench" to tighten it, although all that is really needed is a pair of Channelock pliers, even with all brass parts.

PK

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies. If I use a brass extension attached to the plastic p-trap, I think I can make the connection between the two with a plastic nut. I have room against the wall to use a big wrench to connect the horizontal brass extension to the drain pipe.

Some of the washers and pipe designs look a little different between plastic and brass - some have plastic washers, some have rubber washers, some have flared ends and no washers. I didn't know if there were special considerations needed to mate the dissimilar pipes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just use what comes with the extensions.
If it's brass and a brass nut with rubber washer, that works

If it's plastic, with a plastic nut and plastic cone washer, that works.

We use channel lock pliers.
Or our hands.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One big reason things may leak is if you have tension on the pieces because they are not aligned well. Then you need more compression on the cone washer to make it watertight. If it is all aligned well, often you don't need all that much to create the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks