Can I buy a Toto Drake with these features? ADA and Bone

Users who are viewing this thread

Cherie DeMichele

Reaction score
I have been searching online but I'm not pulling up an option for buying a Toto Drake (1.6 - not the newer less water one) that includes Sanigloss, elongated and ADA height, and insulated tank in a BONE color or at least Sedona Beige. It seems like you have to trade off the color for the Sanigloss because I am only seeing Cotton White with these features and Sanigloss. Can I order one with all of the features I wanted? Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry's site does not show a 1.6 gpf Drake with Sanigloss, so I check a large online Toto dealer and found that apparently the only Drake 1.6 gpf with Sanigloss is the one in white as you reported. As a confirmed disciple of Toto toilets, I find it hard to say this, but you may want to consider whether how important that feature is. I have had both a 1.6 gpf Drake and a 1.6 gpf Dartmouth neither with Sanigloss for several years. I have not found a cleaning problem with either of these toilets. It may be worth a phone call to Toto CS to see if a special order is possible. As to the insulated tank, this topic has been discussed several times on this forum and the general consensus is with low flow toilets, insulated tanks are of little, if any, value. Here's why. Low flow toilet tanks contain about twice the amount of water needed for a normal flush. This means that the water in the tank will be a room temperature and not subject to condensation. When the toilet is flushed, the incoming refill water has been in the pipes for sometime and is also tempered. Even if additional cold water is needed, it will mix with the tempered water left in the tank. Long story short, unlike the old 3.5 gpf toilets that empties the tank on every flush and required all "new" water and were subject to condensation, low flow models don't have this problem.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You can get ADA Height on the elongated Drake 1.6gpf in colors, but you can't get it at ADA height with CEFIONTECT. You can get the insulated tank in colors. You can get CEFIONTECT on the elongated Drake, at standard height, only on the white bowl now.

For example: CST744SLD -- 1.6gpf, ADA Height, insulated tank. Available in colors, including #03 (Bone) and #12 (Sedona Beige)

CST744SGD -- 1.6gpf, CEFIONTECT, insulated tank. Available in cotton white only.

One alternative is to go with the Drake II, CST454CEFG, which as standard equipment comes in with the Double Cyclone Flush, 1.28gpf, Universal Height (ada height with the seat added), and CEFIONTECT, and is available in colors, including Bone and Sedona Beige. While it is only 1.28gpf, if you really need the extra water in the flush (which you won't), you can swap the flapper for an adjustable one and drain more of the tank in the flush. The only drawback is that you can't get the Drake II with an insulated tank. Gary points out that most people don't really need that insulated tank, but if you do, then the regular Drake is the way to go, and if you want ADA height and color, I would just forego the CEFIONTECT.

Good luck. Come back with any questions.

Cherie DeMichele

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your responses. I didn't know that information about not really needing tank insulation with the new toilets but now that you explained it, I can cross that off my list. I still have reservations about 1.28 being enough water to not have a problem. I have this American Standard Cadet right now and it has to be plunged every single time it is used, even with the handle held down the whole time. There is no pressure. It's the only toilet I ever purchased and I should have done some research or asked someone who knows about such things back in 2006 before I bought it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As you've found, not all toilets are created equal! Some of the stuff that changed between the 1.6 and 1.28g flushes was tighter calibration of the fill. Most toilets give a bit extra water and it just went down the drain. The newer ones are calibrated very carefully to minimize that. The 1.28g toilets from Toto can be converted back to 1.6g by changing the flapper valve. It's generally a waste of water, and if you got a rebate for the 1.28g, fraudulent, but it is easy and it works if you should find it necessary (which I highly doubt!).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just pick up a TOTO Drake II with CEFIONTECT. It comes in the Sedona Beige or the Bone.
They're rated at 800 grams, and frankly 500 gram ratings are enough.
I sell a ton of those.

Updated 3/22/2022
The Drake now comes with the good bowl finish in the CST776CEFG and CST776CSFG

Here is a round front version of the tall bowl in Bone

cst775cefg-03-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Just pick up a TOTO Drake II with CEFIONTECT. It comes in the Sedona Beige or the Bone.
I sell a ton of those.

Terry just cuts to the chase and is, of course, correct.

All I would add is that he isn't the only one selling a ton of Drake IIs. One major national retailer just indicated that the Drake II is its number-one-selling toilet, of all brands.

We have a double-cyclone 1.28gpf Toto as well as some original Drakes at 1.6gpf. I think the double-cyclone (same flush as the Drake II) does a great job; it takes everything we throw at it. You won't have to hold down the handle or worry about it...the stuff will just swirl quickly and disappear with a gurgle...like magic.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first generation of low flow toilets were disasters because manufacturers tried to use the old toilet designs with less water. Gave low flow a bad name which is still lingering in many folks minds. We are finally getting the idea that 1.6 gpf works only to learn that 1.28 gpf is the new way to go. But wait, there's more. There now are Toto toilets that use on 1 gpf! Amazing but true. If you really want the Sanigloss, then the Drake II would be a wise choice.

Cherie DeMichele

Reaction score
I sell a ton of those.[/QUOTE

Between the Promenade and the Drake, which one has the best reviews? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pick the style you like...once you get out of the price leader class, all of the Totos work well. Yes, there are some slight differences, but for practical purposes, it's in the noise. My mother has a couple of Drakes, I have a Vespin and a Carlyle, they all work well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks