Can I add Sanitizer through the Air Injection port on my 2510sxt AIO

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I have a Katalox tank that is treating sulfur from my well. No iron. After the Katalox I flow through a Catalytic carbon tank.

I like to freshen the Katalox tank about once a week with a chlorine hit. I put about a dozen 1" Chlorine tabs in an empty filter housing before the Katalox tank and backwash. The tabs are all gone after the BW. I test the water from a port right after the Katalox. My water smells great for about a week. Then there is a bit of breakthrough. My carbon tank always scrubs the remaining H2s so nothing makes it to the house.

So. After all that here is my question. It's a pain to turn off the water. Open the filter housing. Add chlorine tabs. Blah blah.

I want to have an open reservoir with a small hose in it connected to the air injection port.
I'm thinking of occasionally filling it using a cup of 7% Peroxide. Then just wait for the normal BW cycle that night. I have a 45 minute air draw. I'm thinking that cup will get sucked up in the first minute or 2. Then it will continue to draw air from the empty reservoir for the remaining time. I'm assuming that very slow Peroxide bath should clear the media. Then the Rapid Rinse should clear out any remaining peroxide.

I guess I could do the same with liquid chlorine. But I'd rather use a less caustic solution.

Ultimately. I think I'll end up going to a Ozone AIO. But I'd like to do something in the meantime that's easier than my current process.

Last edited:

Skyjumper

Reaction score
yes you can but are you sure you have a rapid rinse after air draw? mine is programmed to skip the RR, I assume to maintain the air charge.

I do suck bleach into the air port once a month to clean the KL, then let it sit overnight, then do an extra long backwash the next morning before it air charges again. I suppose sucking in a small amount of bleach or peroxide at the beginning and then letting it rinse through like softener brine would be better than nothing. its worth a try but you might want to do a couple test cycles to make sure it all rinses out.

how often are you backwashing? mine needs it every night.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
yes you can but are you sure you have a rapid rinse after air draw? mine is programmed to skip the RR, I assume to maintain the air charge.

I do suck bleach into the air port once a month to clean the KL, then let it sit overnight, then do an extra long backwash the next morning before it air charges again. I suppose sucking in a small amount of bleach or peroxide at the beginning and then letting it rinse through like softener brine would be better than nothing. its worth a try but you might want to do a couple test cycles to make sure it all rinses out.

how often are you backwashing? mine needs it every night.

I do a BW every night.. 10 BW, 45 Min Air Draw, Rapid Rinse 5 Min. Based on the volume of a 10x54 tank there it can hold about 18 gallons.. At a 12gpm backwash rate, I should be able to flush the tank more than completely after 2 minutes. based on that I can probably cut my RR back a bit.

I want to use the peroxide since it seems to be safer.. How much Peroxide would you test this out with ? Would a cup be too much?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The percentage is the key, h2o2 is typically 70,000 ppm, this is a bit rough for the media... I would rather see you dilute it first. The injection system will typically do approximately 2:3 ratio (please don't fact check me, it is close enough) so this will start the dilution. How about a cup into a couple gallons? You will draw the two gallons out in 5-10 minute, the rest will be air draw.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
The percentage is the key, h2o2 is typically 70,000 ppm, this is a bit rough for the media... I would rather see you dilute it first. The injection system will typically do approximately 2:3 ratio (please don't fact check me, it is close enough) so this will start the dilution. How about a cup into a couple gallons? You will draw the two gallons out in 5-10 minute, the rest will be air draw.

That's a great idea.. I can easily make a diluted mixture.. My biggest concern is will the H202 stay potent for a few hours till the BW starts at 4am? I can say.. load it every Sunday evening and let it do its thing. I should know immediately the next day if it works.. the water from the test port after a chlorine treatment smells as fresh as it does when it comes out of the Carbon filter..

S. Hillman

Reaction score
Yes, but depending on what kind of "sanitizer" you're using, be careful. The filter media in that AIO is likely manganese dioxide coated volcanic-alumina silicate, and chemicals like chlorine are very hard on the coating. You could be destroying your media. Once or twice would probably be okay, but I would be careful with much more than that.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Yes, but depending on what kind of "sanitizer" you're using, be careful. The filter media in that AIO is likely manganese dioxide coated volcanic-alumina silicate, and chemicals like chlorine are very hard on the coating. You could be destroying your media. Once or twice would probably be okay, but I would be careful with much more than that.

Already mentioned its Katalox Light in my first post. Chlorine and H202 are typically used to regenerate this media to full efficiency..

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Most h2o2 is stabilized so it should be fine as long as it is in a sealed dark container.
Happy to report. I did the test this morning smelled the water from the port. It stunk. Thank god my carbon tank can still finish the job or I'd be screwed. Anyway. I poured a cup of Neutra Sul into a couple of gallons of water. Forced a backwash and just let it run for a few minutes till all the air was out then I entered air draw. That water was gone in a minute or 2. Then let it finish. I then smelled the water from the test port and it was every bit as fresh as when I went through the chlorine tablet gyration.
Seems like a cup of peroxide was hardly anything but it certainly did the job. Would a half cup have the same effectiveness?

Last edited:

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Probably, best way to find out is to test it.
Here is my Rube Goldberg feeder. Testing out the idea. Easy to fill with the test port hose and dump a cup of peroxide.

Also just so nobody has a heart attack. That is an empty used Neutra Sul bottle. Lol

6A7F7750-4EBD-40E5-A676-41D63867EF6E.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks