Can I add a CSV Cycle Sensor to Pumptrol switch with a low pressure cutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick S

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my well pump to higher HP and added a Cycle Stop Valve along with a new Pumptrol switch with a low pressure cutoff lever (previous pumptrol did not have a low pressure cutoff).

The pump and CSV has been working great for a couple months, but we've not gotten rain in a while, and this weekend between the AC running constantly from the heat (I'm on geothermal) and also running the garden hose for a few hours straight, the well apparently ran dry and the low pressure cutoff switch killed power to my pump.

I'm planning to put a Dole valve on the geothermal (it was consuming a lot more GPM than was needed per spec), which should help prevent future occurrences, but was also thinking about adding a Cycle Sensor which from what I'm reading should stop the pump quicker than the low pressure switch would, but also would re-enable power to my pump after a timer expires. Since I'm on geothermal, having it automatically reset it important to me, in case I'm out of town and the well ran dry, I wouldn't be able to manually reset the pump

Question 1 - Can I add a Cycle Sensor to my current Pumptrol switch with the low pressure switch, or do I need a new Pumptrol switch without the cutoff built into it?

Question 2 - I have a 2-wire 1.5hp Goulds pump. Is this the correct cycle sensor (CS1PH1-2HP230V)? I didn't see anything related to 2-wire vs 3-wire pumps, so I assume it works with both?

(I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Bought and installed my CSV based on the discussions here which were very helpful!)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes the Cycle Sensor works with two and three wire pumps. The Cycle Sensor will also work with regular and low pressure cut off switches. But if you want the Cycle Sensor to be able to automatically turn the pump back on after a certain amount of time, you can't use the low pressure cut off switch.

Nick S

Reaction score
thanks for the info - I want to have it automatically turn back on, so do I need to replace the Pumptrol switch to one without the low pressure cutoff, or is there a way to disable it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks