Can I add 90 deg bend to toilet trap arm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeffpo

Reaction score
Hi, I have what I think is a simple question. I searched toilet+trap+arm+bend and read all of the results but was unable to find what I am looking for.

Here is the situation:

The existing toilet is connected with a very short (6”) horizontal run into the main 3” vertical waste stack.

I would like to move the existing toilet three feet to a new location. To do so would require a turn of 90 degrees in the horizontal toilet trap arm run.

My question is, am I allowed to turn a horizontal toilet trap arm 90 degrees? The entire length of the horizontal trap arm would be approximately 3 feet at which point it would reconnect with the existing vertical stack/vent. I presume the slope would be 1/4” per foot. No alterations to the existing waste stack and vent—just extending the horizontal run and adding a bend in order to relocate the toilet.

Thanks in advance. Jeff

Reach4

Reaction score
I think so. You get a maximum path of 6 ft.

I think you are adding a bend in the horizontal plane. I expect you can, but you would want to use a long sweep I think. Or two 45s.

Still, you might want to make a diagram. I don't know if you would need to add a cleanout. I am not a plumber.

At first I wondered if trap arm was the right term, but this definition from UPC says yes, it applies:
Trap Arm. Those portions of a fixture drain between a trap and the vent.​

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 233

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can go six feet on the arm for the toilet. And yes, you can add a change of direction.
It's the same for Washington and California. Both use UPC.

Last edited:

Jeffpo

Reaction score
I think so. You get a maximum path of 6 ft.

I think you are adding a bend in the horizontal plane. I expect you can, but you would want to use a long sweep I think. Or two 45s.

Still, you might want to make a diagram. I don't know if you would need to add a cleanout. I am not a plumber.

At first I wondered if trap arm was the right term, but this definition from UPC says yes, it applies:
Trap Arm. Those portions of a fixture drain between a trap and the vent.​
Thanks for the info.

Jeffpo

Reaction score
You can go six feet on the arm for the toilet. And yes, you can add a change of direction.

Thank you Terry. This forum is invaluable.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeffpo

Reaction score
Hi Terry, after months of planning and other projects I'm finally working on this one. Question regarding toilet flange to DWV connection. My past experience in California allowed for a 4" x 3" "closet bend" to connect the toilet flange to the 3" line. I cannot find this fitting anywhere in the Portland/Vancouver metro area. Is this fitting not used here? The existing toilets in the house are simply connected with a 90 degree elbow hub. I'm happy to do it this way if it's compliant.

Related question, when turning the trap arm 90 degrees on the horizontal to horizontal do I have to use a long sweep or can I use the standard 90 degree elbow?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 6.12.05 PM.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 4x3 can still be used, though we mostly use 3" for toilets. Modern toilets typically have a 2" trapway, which drops easily into a 3" line.
You can use a medium 90 on the toilet trap arm.

Reach4

Reaction score

Jeffpo

Reaction score
Janson beach Home Depot shows 12 in stock in aisle 16 bay 005, and that was the only store I checked. 1728 N Tomahawk Islnd Dr
Portland, OR 97217
Thanks. I saw that too, went there and unable to find them. I'll just use the standard elbows--easier anyway. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. I saw that too, went there and unable to find them. I'll just use the standard elbows--easier anyway. Thank you.
Writing down the aisle and bay is very helpful for when you get to the store.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the 4x3 cl bend but a 3 inch works fine , complies, and gotta be cheaper I still use a 4x3 on a bigger job other than a repair job.
Man Construction is really going Crazy I'm hoping to walk a new home job by me and a 300 unit town home project , to get an idea how they doing things on residential nowadays haven't plumbed a new home in a long time multiple homes like tract nearly 20 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks