Can horizontal radiant heaters be replaced with in wall units?

Users who are viewing this thread

jdani

Reaction score
Hi All-

My new place has those wall mounted horizontal radiant heaters (roughly 6 or 8 feet long) in larger rooms, and shorter ones (two feet or so) in smaller spaces. I think they're really an eye sore, especially because our high heat paint choices are so limited, so we can't exactly match the color of the walls.

Before I hire an electrician, I was curious what options there are, if any, for replacement. Is it possible to replace them with those square or rectangle in wall units that look like they'd fit between studs?

Something like this?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_634675-49285-FZL4004F_1z0vb4o__?productId=50253613&pl=1

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It not as easy as it might seem.
For one it's the thermostats. These old baseboard type electric heaters used a 220 volt thermostat (for each heater) and it switched the power on and off at the thermostat. Therefore, to replace to the type you're looking at will require extensive rewiring. Those baseboard heaters are almost always on an exterior wall, therefore, after you cut a hole in the wall you'll be compressing the insulation or need to remove some or all of it. Not good. Another is the replacement you suggest has a FAN in it to push the air through, therefore, a noise factor is added to the room. One reviewer on that product mentioned it. The fan will collect dust so now you'll have a maintenance job more often than the baseboard type. Electric heat will dry out the air more so than a water heating system and it would be even dryer with a fan blowing across the heating elements.

Your home was probably built in the late 60's to early 70's. Builders installed these because natural gas was not usually available in the area, fuel oil got very expensive or supplies were tight (oil embargo in 1974 and shortages in 1979), the main heating fuel for the northeast. The electric install was also far less expensive for the home builder.

I know they can look bad as you mentioned but if you really can't live with them then its best to switch to a different heating system (Big Buck$). If this is your first winter in the home stick with what you have and see how it handles the cold, room comfort and cost. Google "electric baseboard heater covers" and there are some nice replacements on the market. There is also replacement covers that may be an exact match and just replace the covers. You can get new electric baseboard heaters that may look better.

Check http://www.lowes.com/pd_225987-49285-PLF2004_1z0zq4t__?productId=1062665&pl=1 The Hydronic feature is a nice replacement since it heats a fluid so it comes up to temperature and it cools down slower mimicking a hot water heating system for more comfort.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks