Can good water pressure but low water flow still indicate well going dry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kim Smith

Reaction score
We have a fairly shallow well (1986 house) but we are ultra conservative with water usage. Water pressure appears to be good but we can't even wash our hands now without it running out. Husband says well is going dry....I think not if pressure in holding tank is good even when water flow has stopped (and yes, pressure gauge is working).
Thank-you for any help.
Kim

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The water pressure is not good if you can't even wash your hands. Gonna need some more info. What does the pressure gauge say when the pump starts and stops? What does the gauge say when you are washing your hands? What does the gauge say when running a shower or a faucet outside?

Kim Smith

Reaction score
That's the problem. The pressure is at 55-60 even when you can't get a drop out of the tap. A plumber verified that the gauge is working. I did a backflush with a whole house whirlpool filter and pressure bottomed out. In the past (we have had same system in place for 20 yrs) I could backflush to remove air from pipes with a small pressure drop but 10 mins after flush, pressure would go back to 50-55...now pressure is back to 55-60 but no water. Could we have a block in a pipe or maybe holding tank is malfunctioning?

When running any tap inside or out you get an initial flush for a minute then flow drops to pencil thin flow and eventually goes out altogether. I go downstairs to manually bring pressure up on pumptrol (which we replaced thinking this might be problem but it didn't help) and there's nothing to bring up because pressure gauge is showing full pressure!!!!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your gauge has got to be bad. It shouldn't stay at any pressure but come on at 40 and off at 60, give or take. Turn off the pump, open a faucet and drain all the water out of the tank, and see if the gauge goes to zero like it should. My guess the gauge is stuck. You get a little burst of water from the pressure tank and then the pump is not delivering any volume. Do you have a bypass for the filters?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks