Can feces get into tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

volfan81

Reaction score
First of all, I'm a female, and don't know much about plumbing. I think one of my son's friends has pulled a practical joke on us. While we were out of town, my 18 year old son had a party. A couple days later, I noticed that the toilet kept running. I removed the tank, and there was feces in it. I've read on the internet that this is a prank that can be pulled on someone. Is there any other way for it to get in there? What can we do to get it out? It's not solid now.(sorry to be so graphic) I know it will start smelling soon. My husband is out of town right now and is not going to be happy when he finds out. He is pretty handy with plumbing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tracy
bug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you mean in the tank or under it after you removed it...and do you mean the tank that sits in the back of the bowl or something else...

Cookie

Reaction score
I'd have a long talk with him. And he would clean the tank and once it is cleaned you will be able to see why it is running. If a plumber needs to come in, he would pay the plumber. Make him accountable for his actions. Don't have your husband fix it. It was his party and his friends, and his toilet.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Because of the way they operate, it CAN get into the tank of some low profile, non-overflow one piece toilets, but that is probably not what you have.

burin

Reaction score
gross as it is, I'm sure it was on purpose

go to urbandictionary.com research the term "upper decker"

volfan81

Reaction score
It's in the tank (where the handle is) that sits at the back of the bowl. I found out something else. It may not have been at the party. When my 14 year old son woke up this morning, I told him about it. He knew it was running, but didn't know why. I told him why. It's his bathroom, and yesterday, before I got home, he had some friends over that were playing outside, and one of them ask if he could go to the bathroom. My son came in with him, and the kid went upstairs to use the bathroom (son's bathroom), instead of using the one downstairs, and then they went outside to play. It was the only time they were in the house. I suspect he's the one. My son is going to confront him today, and we will probably call his parents. I will be glad to get through these teen years. Back to how to clean it up (if we don't call a plumber). Do we need to turn the water off and let the water drain out and then clean it? I guess we need to definitely hold our breath. Thanks for all your advice.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Turn off the water to the tank and drain it...remove the large pieces first..then clean and rinse out the tank...turn on the water and fill the tank and flush 1-2 times...after the tank is full add 1/2 cup of bleach swish it around and let it sit for an hour then flush a few times till the bleach is gone...

Might also be a good time to rebuild the tank and just toss the old parts...that might teach a lesson that will be remembered..

Last edited:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Since the toilet is upstairs, I would shut off the "main" supply to the house in the basement. Flushing the toilet should purge the tank. Avoid turning the valve to the toilet, it may start leaking ... and you'll have another problem on your hands.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is leaking or maybe not working at all...now would be a good time to find out and fix it rather than later during an emergency when it may be badly needed...

Cookie

Reaction score
The teen years are difficult ones, but rules can make it easier. One rule I had was, no friends over when an adult was not home. Choose friends carefully, for you are the company you keep. If you are positive which kid did it, and he is 14 also, the parent should see the mess there kid did, in order to better understand it. They will know what you are talking about, but they won't fully understand the destruction he did unless, they actually see what they kid is capable of doing on someone's else's property. They should offer to pay for a plumber and clean it and fix it. They need to step up to the plate and be accountable for there kid and deal with there kid in the privacy of their home.

tl2tl

Reaction score
The teen years are difficult ones, but rules can make it easier. One rule I had was, no friends over when an adult was not home. Choose friends carefully, for you are the company you keep. If you are positive which kid did it, and he is 14 also, the parent should see the mess there kid did, in order to better understand it. They will know what you are talking about, but they won't fully understand the destruction he did unless, they actually see what they kid is capable of doing on someone's else's property. They should offer to pay for a plumber and clean it and fix it. They need to step up to the plate and be accountable for there kid and deal with there kid in the privacy of their home.

+1

Have the kid's parents see it and have the kid HIMSELF clean the mess up.

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, I agree, he should clean up the mess. I would not be a happy camper. I feel for this mom, it is a tricky situation with other people kids. That is why they should see it and offer to pay her for it.

One thing that is so important is to make sure you know your kids friends as well as possible. Even as adults you are known by the company you keep.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
It's a serious contamination issue because even with positive flow situations, those fill valves don't completely seal off and prevent a reversal of flow.

That means that fecal content could of possibly entered the potable water system. That means the water you drink, the water you bathe in, the water you draw from the tap to use for cooking.

Have you seen the lack of having to use spices in your recipes...as of late? :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks