Can DWV vent be shared between shower and washer?

Users who are viewing this thread

James Borjas

Reaction score
Hi all - longtime lurker but first time poster.

I am redoing my bathroom and trying to set up a plan for the DWV lines for a standing shower and stackable washer-dryer, which are side by side (30" wide each, with a 5" framed wall dividing them). I am unsure how to properly lay out the vent lines so that they work as intended and do not let gasses vent into the house or cause siphoning.

I've attached 2 potential layouts that I am considering. Ideally I would like to go with the simpler design where the drain from the shower and washer meet up under the floor in a 2 x 2 x 3" wye and then join together into the main drain, with a 2" vent running up from the center through the roof, but don't know if this achieves the goals of the vent lines or not.

I am looking for some feedback if either of them are correct/usable - criticisms and suggestions highly welcome! Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 1.10.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 1.10.09 AM.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 320
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 1.10.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 1.10.22 AM.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 294

James Borjas

Reaction score
Picture #2 looks good to me
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback! If you don't mind, could you explain why picture 2 (with the extra vent lines) is a good setup whereas (I am assuming based on your response) that picture 1 is a bad setup, so I can understand the reasoning? Thank you!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
By having individual vents as shown in picture 2 there is less chance of the traps siphoned out by negative pressure (back pressure)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks