Can Compression Ring Be Used With 'Speedi Adapter' Fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

BooII

Reaction score
The 'Speedi Adapter' fittings I'm trying to use go by nomenclature '3/8odx1/2fip Adapter' or '3/8ODX1/2FIP ADAPTER' (both of which are the same fitting descriptor).
The fitting is a 3/8" O.D. tube x 1/2" F.I.P. slip-joint reducing adapter (don't know why the term 'slip-joint' is used).
I'm wanting to connect existing 3/8" copper tube water supply lines to new tub and lavatory fixtures that have 1/2" straight-thread male pipe fittings (as most new bathroom and kitchen faucet fixtures have today). Note: Fixtures are straight-thread, NOT tapered-thread.
The 3 following links illustrate (picture) what the fittings look like.
http://products.hardwareandtools.com/brass_craft_ps2721_supply_adapter_3_8compx1_2ips_5009755.php
http://www.doitbest.com/Pipe+fittings-Plumb+Pak+keeney+Mfg-model-455910-doitbest-sku-455910.dib
http://www.simsupply.com/p-11917-38odx12fip-adapter.aspx
The first link is the brand of fitting I'm using. It is a BrassCraft 'Speedi Adaptor' PS2721. Note: Manfacturer spelling of adapter.
Packaging states this fitting adapts 1/2" O.D. Slip-Joint to 3/8" O.D. Supply Line.
Here's my delima, it doesn't specify the type of supply line type to be used with the fitting (it only gives supply line size).
It is my thought that 'Speedi Adapter' fittings are to be used with 'Speedi Adapter' supply line hoses that have connector fittings to fit 3/8" the port (end) of the adapter.
The BrassCraft PS2721 fittings I'm trying to use (supplied by BrassCraft) are not your conventional compression fitting utilizing a compression nut and compression ring.
Though BrassCraft says that they can be connected this way.
Shipping order describes the PS2721 fitting type as 3/8" COMP X 1/2" IP (doesn't identify the 3/8" port as male and 1/2" port as female).
The 3/8" water supply copper tube fits perfectly inside the 3/8" port of the fitting (with a land to stop it from going all the way through the adapter).
With a compression nut and compression ring installed on the 3/8" copper tube, the compression nut can be screwed on the fitting, but a leak free connection cannot be attained.
The 3/8" port of the PS2721 fitting doesn't not have a chamfer (beveled edge) around the inner lip.
The compression ring won't mate with the fitting as a standard compression fitting and compression ring would fit.
The compression ring sits on the end of the fitting instead of fitting slightly down inside the fitting.
Hence the compression ring and inside annular surface of the fitting won't mate together correctly for a leak free connection.
Standard plumbing compression fittings are packaged with all the necessary parts (fitting, ring, and nut).
The PS2721 is packaged only with a flat neoprene flat washer for sealing the fitting's 1/2" port with the lavatory/tub faucet fixture straight-thread male pipe.
In a sense, the 1/2" FIP end of the fitting is a compression fit with the fixture pipe end (compressing the supplied flat washer in between the two to prevent a leak without having to use teflon tape or plumbing paste).
As for the 3/8" end of the fitting, since this is a 'Speedi Adapter' fitting it is probably intended to be used with a 'Speedi Adapter' supply hose and not with a compression ring and compression nut (even though the nut size and thread are correct).
The 'Speedi Adapter' supply hoses have a connecting nut with built-in rubber seal for a leak free compression connection with the 3/8" end of the fitting.
Has anyone encountered this particular problem?
I think my assessment is correct but welcome input from those who have 'Been There, Done That'.
Thanks for any help to resolve my leak problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The 1/2" side is intended for fixture angle stops with a 1/2" "slip joint connection". It uses a washer for a seal, NOT tapered threads. The 3/8" side is a standard compression joint, so I am not sure why you are having a problem with it, but a braided stainless steel supply line would seal. A plumber would normally change those angle valves to the more common 3/8" compression outlet rather than try to adapt them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks