Can Clack WS1 valve detect pinhole leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Allen245

Reaction score
I have installed water softener with Clack WS1 valve. I saw WS1 has water flow rate detection, how accurate is the detection? If there is a pinhole leak, will it show a reading at least 0.1gpm? If it reads 0.0gpm, does that mean there is no leaks anywhere? Thanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If there is a pinhole leak, will it show a reading at least 0.1gpm?
According to Clack, the meter flow rate range is 0.25 - 27 GPM.

AcroRd32_2021-04-11_07-45-30.jpg

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I have always told my customers if you see the softening sign blink on the screen
that means water is moving through the unit..... normally it will detect something like a
toilet flapper leaking through... or a slab leak...
In your situation with a small pinhole
issue it might take a very long while for the meter to move enough to actually see the pulse....

it would be like waiting for water to boil,

a better test would be to switch the screen from the time of day to reserve gallons left and note
what the gallon number is..... depending on how large a pinhole we are talking about it
might take an hour or all day for it to piss out a gallon of water.... just watch the number
and if it moves then you know you have a micro leak somewhere in the slab home.....
If nothing changes for an 12 hour period I dont think I would sweat over it too much....

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The Clack turbine require a certain velocity to turn it. If you have very low flow, the turbine simply wont move, therefore it wont detect water flow. If you want to test your plumbing for leaks, a better way is to do a simple pressure test. Shut off the incoming water to the house and watch a pressure gauge. if you have no leaks, the pressure should not drop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks