Can anyone tell me what this copper drain is or what it might be attached to?

Users who are viewing this thread

StuRob

Reaction score
Hello.,
This is my first time posting. I live in a townhouse and there is a neighbour that lives above me. I recently had a leak above my bathroom ceiling which is also the bottom floor for the neighbours above. I had a restoration company come in and cut a hole in the bathroom ceiling which exposed a large copper drain connected to a large black pipe. I can clearly see holes in that drain. I have attached pictures to this post.

Can anyone tell me what type of drain that is? What is a drain like that usually connected to? Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Stuart
IMG_20170824_070703.jpg
IMG_20170824_070707.jpg

StuRob

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. We do suspect that it is the floor drain on the neighbours patio. I live in Vancouver and we get a lot of rain. We experience that leak approximately 3-4 times a year when it rains REALLY bad.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to contact your HOA this should be covered by them, if it is only the two of you then you need to contact them
and ask for their homeowners Insurance to cover damages and for them to make the necessary repairs

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello.,
This is my first time posting. I live in a townhouse and there is a neighbour that lives above me. I recently had a leak above my bathroom ceiling which is also the bottom floor for the neighbours above. I had a restoration company come in and cut a hole in the bathroom ceiling which exposed a large copper drain connected to a large black pipe. I can clearly see holes in that drain. I have attached pictures to this post.

Can anyone tell me what type of drain that is? What is a drain like that usually connected to? Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Stuart
View attachment 41567 View attachment 41568
Easy fix would be to wait till its dry and coat the whole thing in a tar like silicone

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
File a claim against your neighbor, his insurance and the HOA, for all the reasons you mentioned above.

A properly functioning drain, in good condition and properly sized, should be able to handle heavy rain. If you have leaks, the drain is faulty.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Easy fix would be to wait till its dry and coat the whole thing in a tar like silicone"

The PO's concern is who is going to cover the repair bill, besides eliminating the leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks