Can anyone tell me what the Heck this thing is?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Goach, Oct 1, 2007.

  1. Goach

    Goach New Member

    Oct 1, 2007
  2. Master Plumber Mark

    Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

    Feb 6, 2005
    Sensitivity trainer.. plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    doesent "old Bob" know?????

    My guess that is an old filed tile floor drain
    with a bell type floor drain over it...

    it could just be a place where a toielt
    was supposed to go and has been pluged up somehow

    it would be best to leave it alone...

    I cant beleive that someone knowlegable as Bob V
    has not stepped up to the plate and answered that question
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. dubldare

    dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

    Sep 14, 2005
    I've seen several instances of storm drain piping in old homes. These were usually run from the base of the gutter downspouts, into the dwelling below grade and tieing into the sanitary through a running trap. The running trap prevented sewer odors from venting at the downspouts.
  5. Goach

    Goach New Member

    Oct 1, 2007
    Bob V ain't got nothin' on TL...


    So this piece of 'plumbing history' is slowly disintegrating in my basment, and I'm worried that it could cause me trouble in the future, when the basement is finished off. I don't think this is a toilet hookup, as it's ancient, and when it was installed, there wouldn't have been pumps to pump the waste up to the septic tanks. It could be a floor drain, but more recently some drains were installed that run to a sump pump. I think storm drain sounds the most accurate. Since I know that the eaves aren't joined into any king of underground drainage system, do you think it's safe to open this cover up? As I mentioned above, it's slowly crumbling, and if it's not in use, I'd like to put some sort of a plug in it, and maybe cement over it. Does this sound like a bad idea?

  6. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    it looks like a cleanout cover that someone welded a handle onto so it could be removed easily, or at least by hitting it with a hammer.
Similar Threads: anyone tell
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Can anyone tell me what this tube/pipe in my sump pump pit is please? Aug 1, 2013
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Can Anyone tell Me who makes this kitchen faucet? Jun 11, 2011
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Does anyone recognize this shower valve? Mar 20, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Has anyone installed a hydapipe pipe unit before Mar 14, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Anyone know what this is??? It was up in a tree Feb 12, 2017

Share This Page