Can a water well pressure switch trip the pump relay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Candice Struck

DIY Mom
Reaction score
Can a water well pressure switch trip the pump relay, and stop my water?
If so how do i fix it?
My water keeps tripping and turning off. Since last night we have reset it and turned it back on 40-50 times. Had guy out here to look at it , hooked up a new relay/ pressure switch, but didn't leave them on. He put the original parts back on and said he is going to need to replace the pump. And wants 2,000 to do it. I may not be a professional but I think it sounds off.. If the pump is bad then why does it continually come on and work every time we reset it? I think it has to do with the pressure switch or the relay am I crazy? Any help is appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying you have a pressure switch with a lever on it.

Your air precharge on the pressure tank may be too high.

Candice Struck

DIY Mom
Reaction score
I think you are saying you have a pressure switch with a lever on it.

Your air precharge on the pressure tank may be too high.
No, there in no lever on it, it will build up pressure, but as soon as we use any water it starts fine then slows to nothing until we reset it then does it all over again.

Reach4

Reaction score
No, there in no lever on it, it will build up pressure, but as soon as we use any water it starts fine then slows to nothing until we reset it then does it all over again.
What does "reset it" mean?

Candice Struck

DIY Mom
Reaction score
Also Just found in the back corner of my lot that there is an area that looks and feels super moist like i had just let the water hose sit in that areafor a long while. Have no idea where it came from or why its that way..

Reach4

Reaction score
Can a water well pressure switch trip the pump relay, and stop my water?
No.

These may offer some similarities:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....4-hp-3-wire-submers-pump-keeps-tripping.76549
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....lem-intermittent-elevated-loads-on-main.76551

What you might get out of those includes the reading of currents to the pump. Your pump could be a different size, so the expected currents would be different. Also note that he provided info on the pump.

That situation is still unresolved.

Possibilities.

1. Pump is bad
  2. Control box is bad, or to be more specific, a part of the control box, such as a cutout, is bad
  3. There is an intermittent short.
  4. Something else I am not considering, but not the pressure switch.
Even if a control box were not the probable problem, it is cheaper and easier to swap out than the pump, it might be worthwhile.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The leak has caused the pump to cycle on and off until it trips the overload. You may have already let all the smoke out of that new motor, and there is no way to put it back. Fix the leak, stop the cycling, and wait to see if the pump is still good. At least it should still be under warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks