Can a Thermostat Be Affected By Steam?

Users who are viewing this thread

stormiii

Reaction score
Most of my claims are water losses. I inspected a home in OBX this past week where the water heater burst and caused damage on all three levels of the dwelling. The mitigation and restoration contractor said when he came to the home, it was filled with steam (which is evident by the damage to the building items) and they believe that the digital thermostat may have been adversely affected. The display seemed to be working correctly when I was there, but they said it was not working correctly previously. What would be recommended in a situation like this? Is there a way to troubleshoot it? Could exposure to steam cause problems down the road if it's not addressed or is this something that now that it has dried out will be okay?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The steam probably condensed inside the thermostat and may have damaged some of the electronic. If you have a voltmeter and 24 v ac or if it is battery operated, it can be tested. Look on line for what each color wire or terminal. with the thermostat set below the room temperature there only will be 24 v on th ered wire. Raise the temperature to call for heat and the white wire will then have 24 v's ac.
https://xtronics.com/wiki/Thermostat_signals_and_wiring.html

stormiii

Reaction score
The steam probably condensed inside the thermostat and may have damaged some of the electronic. If you have a voltmeter and 24 v ac or if it is battery operated, it can be tested. Look on line for what each color wire or terminal. with the thermostat set below the room temperature there only will be 24 v on th ered wire. Raise the temperature to call for heat and the white wire will then have 24 v's ac.
https://xtronics.com/wiki/Thermostat_signals_and_wiring.html
Thank you so very much! I appreciate the link, too. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks