Can a pump be oversized? Am I getting carried away?

Users who are viewing this thread

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I bought a 3/4 hp hallmark 3.5 inch to replace a 1974 goulds half horse.

It works fine and I have no complaints. I know, if it aint broke don't fix it.

HOWEVER...

My curiosity got the best of me and I bought a 1 hp 3.5 inch hallmark that I wanted to send down the well for more water pressure. The 3/4 HP pump has no trouble giving me almost 50 psi and it works great.
I bought the 1 hp pump to put in when spring comes and its warmer outside. I am trying to get to a continuous 60 psi. I plan to add a cycle stop valve.

I received a notification that the pump was on backorder and blah blah blah so I cancelled it.
Now, I can get a MA0419X-12A-230 2HP Max 400' 35GPM pump brand new for almost NOTHING.

My poly pipe says 200 psi on it and its 47 years old. There is about 70 to 75 feet worth of horizontal poly from the house to the pitless. The pump is 200 feet down a 250 foot bore. The longest drop from the head of the well to water is around 50 feet and has not changed much since October 2020.

THE QUESTION IS, will I cause problems for myself by "upgrading" to a pump that is almost 4 times stronger than the one that was down there for 47 years? My thinking is that I will have awesome city-like pressure. I might be wasting some electricity but I signed up for flat rate from the power company so thats not much of a concern. The labor to do the job is free because I tricked some jackass known as me into working for free.

What could go wrong?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is maddening to me that they sell pumps like this without a pump curve or even a performance chart available. Not enough info on these pumps to tell how they will perform. But if 400' of head is max for that pump, then 173 PSI is the max pressure it can build. You will see 1 PSI less than that for every 2.31' it is down to the water level in the well. With a water level of 50' you will see a max pressure of 151 PSI. Now a CSV can make that pump work like a small pump when needed, so it won't be too big for whatever you are watering.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks