Can a lavatory in a commercial restroom empty into a floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mliu

Reaction score
I'm laying out a public restroom for a small cafe that we're building. I want to have a floor drain for washing down the floor, and I've been considering installing a linear drain along the back wall (which is also the wet wall with a hung toilet, urinal, and lavatory). I got to thinking about trap primers and I know there are tailpieces that can be installed in the lavatory drain to divert some of the wastewater into the floor drain to keep its trap primed.

That got me wondering: why not just divert all the water from the lavatory into the floor drain? If I do install a linear drain, it will be almost 10 feet long, so the additional water flow would help keep the drain washed down throughout the day (particularly useful in a commercial restroom where some guys tend to put as much pee on the floor as they do into the urinal).

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It be very easy for the wastewater to back up on the floor all the time. A no no and it can easily cause a slippery floor condition, something insurance companies don't like. Also you then be having waster water going through two traps. Just not code.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see any inspector allowing lavs to drain to a floor drain.
What I do see, is a 1/2" line to prime the trap, mostly with a shutoff below the lav faucet supplying the trap primer, exposed so it can be installed and repaired.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks