Can a female union tailpiece be used for male NPSM threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon Weiss

Reaction score
I have a device that has 1" male NPSM (straight) threads on both ends and I want to adapt it to 1" NPT. The instructions say to get two water meter fittings to make the connection to NPT, but water meter fittings are typically asymmetric (1-1/4" NSPM to 1" NPT or 1" NPSM to 3/4" NPT).

I’m wondering would the female half of a union (like this one) work? Naively it seems like it would, but I don’t know if unions are always (or even typically) NPSM threaded, or if they’re just some random straight threads that aren’t standardized.

Thanks for your help!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The part that you linked to isn't going to help you. The female threads will be NPT, and the other side will be a flat plate with a o-ring meant to mate with a similar plate on the Watts PRVs listed.

You need a fitting with 1" NPSF threads that accepts a washer for sealing. Since the straight threads won't provide a seal.

While inelegant, if you are forced to use a 1" NPSM to 3/4" NPT part but want to stick with 1" piping, a short section of 3/4" typically isn't going to cause any problems. It will be equivalent to something like 5 times the length of 1" piping.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks