Can a converted Delta 1500 series from '96 accept new Delta 17T unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

jimpc

Reaction score
I have a Delta 1500 series shower unit from 1996. About 4 years ago the cartridge went and Delta sent me the 1500 to 1700 conversion kit for free, RP29405. Being that this unit is now converted can I replace it with a new 17T series Delta kit without changing the rough in valve?

Thanks

delta-1500-series-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

jimpc

Reaction score
It doesn't look the same. The conversion kit uses cartridge RP32104, the 17T uses RP47201

RP32104

View attachment 58042

Is there any kind of extra trim ring I can use if I want to replace the rough in valve from the front of the shower? I know there are ones for going from 3 handle to one handle but I already have a single handle currently there.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't think so. If you have access from the back wall of the shower, replace the entire valve body for the 17T series. I have two of them after my two bathroom remodels replacing the Moens. These Delta faucets are awesome, operate smooth and easy to control. One lever for temp and the other for water flow. Temperature balance is always right on. Once you get the temperature as you like it, all you do is shut the water off without the temperature lever needing to move. All I do is turn on the water and the temp is set and I have not had to adjust it in months. 5 or 10 years from now you'll still be able to get replacement cartridges.

jimpc

Reaction score
I don't think so. If you have access from the back wall of the shower, replace the entire valve body for the 17T series. I have two of them after my two bathroom remodels replacing the Moens. These Delta faucets are awesome, operate smooth and easy to control. One lever for temp and the other for water flow. Temperature balance is always right on. Once you get the temperature as you like it, all you do is shut the water off without the temperature lever needing to move. All I do is turn on the water and the temp is set and I have not had to adjust it in months. 5 or 10 years from now you'll still be able to get replacement cartridges.

Thanks. The problem is the frame of the closet behind the one shower is directly behind the valve. The other bathroom there is a cabinet behind the valve. We aren't remodeling. Maybe I'll just get the front cover plate they use to convert the multi handle to single handle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks