Can a 3/4 HP 5 GMP pump backwash a 10 inch greensand filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Npn

Reaction score
The pump that the well driller installed after drilling the well deeper is labeled 3/4 - 5 (written on the pressure tank). The pump is at 390 feet and the static water is about 110 feet down. After researching media types I see back wash rates in the range of 8 or more GPM. I am now getting nervous that this pump will not be able to backwash most media I would use in the tank.
The filter tanks seems to be 10 inches, so that makes the area about 0.79 sq ft, so I think I get 6.4 GMP for backwash best case, right?

Reach4

Reaction score
Not enough IMO, even tho 10 inch tank cross section is 0.5454 sqft.

How much iron are you dealing with? My 10 inch iron+H2S filter uses Centaur Carbon, and backwashes at 5gpm. My iron is fairly light (under 0.5 ppm). My H2S I don't know numerically, but I wanted that out. Also not particularly heavy, but I did not like it.

Npn

Reaction score
The pump that the well driller installed after drilling the well deeper is labeled 3/4 - 5 (written on the pressure tank). The pump is at 390 feet and the static water is about 110 feet down. After researching media types I see back wash rates in the range of 8 or more GPM. I am now getting nervous that this pump will not be able to backwash most media I would use in the tank.
The filter tanks seems to be 10 inches, so that makes the area about 0.79 sq ft, so I think I get 6.4 GMP for backwash best case, right?
oops stress and Sunday morning ... tank area is as @Reach4 stated 0.5454 soft not 0.79

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I use FilterAG that requires less GPM but is a coarse mesh. I am considering adding a finer mesh KL which requires a little more GPM. My GPM limitation is the micronizer, not the pump.

Edit: Originally I had a 5.3 DLFC but replaced it with a 6.5 DLFC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks