Calibrating Navien NPE240A

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dradam, May 8, 2020.

1. dradam

dradam Member

When my Navien NPE 2401 tankless water heater is set to 120 degrees F I get 115 degrees at my farthest fixture. Set at 125 degrees I get 120 F at my farthest fixture. It there a way to calibreate the temp on these units-- I see nothing in the Manuals. Thanks

2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

What are you trying to accomplish? higher temperatures? if so I think you hold the + symbol for more then 2 seconds

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    Insulate the the pipe would help but there will always be a loss in temp. All pipe radiates heat copper loses more than plastic. By recalibrating the sensor will give you the temp you want but when there is a problem your wh will see 5* lower temp than what it is. So temperature difference between in & out will change the logic of the processor.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  5. dradam

dradam Member

Thanks for your replies. I understand there will be heat loss. I simply want to calibrate the machine reading with the actual temperature at the farthest fixture-- if there is a way.
    Thank

6. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

The temperature setting is measured at the WH. Perhaps the temperature in your home today results in a 5-degree loss when reaching the far end, but 2 months from now, the home interior could be warmer and so that might result in only a 3-degree loss. Unless the sensor is located at the far end of the plumbing run, it can't know the actual temperature there.

Since you know there is currently a 5-degree difference, the best 'calibration' you can do is simply set the water temperature 5-degrees higher than desired. If you later add pipe insulation and then find there is only a 2-degree difference, you can then reset the temperature setting for only 2-degrees higher than desired.

7. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

What's the point? you already calibrated it in your head. I would rather know temperature the unit is putting out.

8. dradam

dradam Member

Yes, You are all correct-- it is calibrated in my head-- that said I was just curious if there were a setting where calibration could be adjusted. I would think that tested at the factory some calibration must be done.
    Thanks.