Calculating subpanel/feeder size

Users who are viewing this thread

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
I'd like to run a subpanel for my garage, entrance hall, mud room and bathroom. In the future I want to run another subpanel off this one for a detached garage/shed.

For calculating load, or to properly size the subpanel and feeder.... I have a few questions regarding NEC methods.

There is the "3VA/sqft" rule (GP lighting and outlets), 1500VA for small appliance/laundry, and name plate rating.

So I figure:

Bathroom ~64 sqft, 192VA

Mudroom 1500VA (laundry branch) and 5000VA (dryer)

Entrance hall ~100 sq, 300VA

Garage... air compressor (biggest single load), T8 lights, lots of 20A outlets for various tools, nothing permanent. Calculate compressor load (nameplate) and use 3VA/sqft for GP outlets/lights or what?

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
The NEC calculations are for service size. You are talking about a subpanel.

Is there a seperate NEC article for calculating the feeder to a subpanel? I know I can just put in a big subpanel (~100A) and not use its full capacity... but I still need to figure out the load for both the wire size and feeding breaker.

bartstop

Reaction score
Website
www.iwireelectricservice.com
I'm not trying to be an ass but I think you're over analysing this. If you're going to go through all the trouble and expense, why not just install a 100 amp panel? Unless the feeder is going to be really long, you're not going to save much by going with a 60 amp or smaller. I personally would use a Square D homeline and feed it with #4 SER copper and be done. There's nothing wrong with having extra capacity. Who knows you might need to plug in an RV or welder someday.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
, why not just install a 100 amp panel? feed it with #4 SER copper and be done. There's nothing wrong with having extra capacity. Who knows you might need to plug in an RV or welder someday.
If you use #4 copper protect it with an 80 amp breaker as 4 is only good for 85 amps

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
If you use #4 copper protect it with an 80 amp breaker as 4 is only good for 85 amps

Newer NEC has lower ampacities, right? I was told somewhere if the cable is run indoors, then you must size the wire per the 60*C column in Table 310.15(B)(16) (regardless if you use 75 or 90*C cable) like typical NM (14/12-2).

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Newer NEC has lower ampacities, right? I was told somewhere if the cable is run indoors, then you must size the wire per the 60*C column in Table 310.15(B)(16) (regardless if you use 75 or 90*C cable) like typical NM (14/12-2).

What are the ratings at your termination points(lugs/breakers/device)? The point with the lowest rating is what we use to determine which ampacity column is used for a given circuit. 90°C equipment is fairly uncommon.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
What are the ratings at your termination points(lugs/breakers/device)? The point with the lowest rating is what we use to determine which ampacity column is used for a given circuit. 90°C equipment is fairly uncommon.

I have a GE PowerMark Gold main panel (200A service) and I was planning on using a similar GE panel (either with a main breaker or not). GE lists the THQP/THQL series breakers (used in the PowerMark panels) at 65/75*C… so based on that I could size the feeder cable off the 75*C column, right?

Norcal01

Reaction score
A 90A breaker is fine, as it's allowed to upsize to the next higher ampacity when the rating of the cable does not correspond to a standard rating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks