Calculating Submersible Pump Size

Users who are viewing this thread

RobertV

Reaction score
Hi all,

First, thanks for this website. So much great info here.

I have a new well to supply water to a tiny cabin and I need to calculate the submersible well pump needed. Any help will be really appreciated. The well is in New Hampshire so it will be buried 4' underground from the well head to the cabin

Details:

Well is 242' overall. I want to set the pump at 227'.

There is roughly 300-310 gallons of water in the well at any given time (about 18'-20' below top of steel well sleeve). The well recharge is 1.5 gallons per minute.

From the well to the cabin, it is 83'. I am using 200psi, 1" water line and 10 gauge wire to serve the pump.

Where the waterline reaches the cabin, the line sweeps up to the pressure tank roughly 6.5' from the bottom of the waterline trench. The pressure tank feeds 1/2" pex water line that runs overhead thru ceiling joists (another 6 feet up from where 1" line connects to pressure tank) to the following: one kitchen sink faucet, one bath sink faucet, one bathtub faucet, one toilet, one washer/dryer feed. That's it.

I am shooting for 7-10gpm.

Can anyone out there help me size the pump needed for this system? Is there more info that you need from me to do this?

Thanks again...reading through this forum is a hell of a lot of fun.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe 1/2 HP 5 GPM pump with a 7 GPM Doll valve and a 32 gallon or bigger pressure tank, or 3/4 HP 7 GPM with maybe a 10 GPM Dole valve preventing upthrust. 44 gallon or bigger pressure tank.
img_3.png

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the water pulls down to 220' a 3/4HP won't deliver 8 GPM at 50 PSI. I would go with a 10 GPM, 1HP. Then with a PK1A kit using a Cycle Stop Valve you can still use that pump down to 1 GPM when needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the pressure drops as your water drops below 180, is that all bad?

I would go with a 10 GPM, 1HP. Then with a PK1A kit using a Cycle Stop Valve you can still use that pump down to 1 GPM when needed.
Dole valve?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pressure drops as your water drops below 180, is that all bad?

Dole valve?

No. No Dole valve. The well has 300 gallons stored. As long as you don't use more than 300 gallons at any given time you should be ok. But if you want to run irrigation or something long term, you will need to time it carefully, or use a cistern storage tank and a booster pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks