Calcite and Sediment filter in one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rprilutsky

Reaction score
Hi, I am very new to the subject and I need some help here.
I have well water and the only problem I have is somewhat low PH ( about 6.2) and red/brown sediment which clogs my standard whole house filter (5micron) withing 2-3 weeks. The sediment looks like ferric iron but the water test shows no dissolved iron.

Before the filter, I have a calcite backwash neutralizer tank installed (54"x10"). I do not have room to install another tank to have two separate filters (neutralizer and sediment backwash filter).

So, my question is: can I add some additional filtering media to the tank below calcite to improve sediment filtering? Can calcite be combined with any other media on one tank?

I'd apprisiate your thoughts and suggestions! As I said, I am very new to the subject and your help is greatly appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
In general we don't recommend mixing anything with calcite. I have not run any mixing testes with this media since the calcite varies in size due it being soluble. Clinoptilolite would be the only media I could see being of any help to you but would it stay on top, go to the bottom, or just simply turn into a worthless amalgam? My guess is amalgam.

Reach4

Reaction score
Before the filter, I have a calcite backwash neutralizer tank installed (54"x10").
Backwashing? If so, maybe increasing the backwash frequency could help.

If using an upflow system, maybe converting that to backwashing could improve the particle removal.

In general we don't recommend mixing anything with calcite. I have not run any mixing testes with this media since the calcite varies in size due it being soluble. Clinoptilolite would be the only media I could see being of any help to you but would it stay on top, go to the bottom, or just simply turn into a worthless amalgam? My guess is amalgam.
How would garnet do? Paste up into a solid because the backwashing would not be effective?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
Backwashing? If so, maybe increasing the backwash frequency could help.

If using an upflow system, maybe converting that to backwashing could improve the particle removal.

How would garnet do? Paste up into a solid because the backwashing would not be effective?

Great question! It will fall below the calcite with ease but it is less effective at filtering than the calcite is. It would be like putting a 50 micron filter after a 20 micron filter. It requires a heavy backwash but like gravel, it is really used for under-bedding so moving it around is not important since it is not really an effective filter.

Rprilutsky

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer but I think I spoke too soon. I left the test water in the open contact with air for a day and remeasured PH. Now it came up as 7.4 ! I repeated it three times, and every time the drained water tested PH 6.2 immediately after being collected and 7.3 - 7.4 24 hours later. It seems that there is something in the water that makes it alkaline once it is in the contact with the air. Can anyone please explain this? Also - now I am thinking that I do not need a neutralizer. Can I use an air injecting iron filter instead which will neutralize water by adding air, serve as a better filter, and will spare me from the pain of refilling calcite and adding softener? Does it make sense to anyone?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Carbon dioxide dissolved in the water can off-gas over time. We would really need to see a complete water report to make any real recommendations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks