Bypass pressure switch pump runs. Don't bypass pump wont run. 3rd new switch

Users who are viewing this thread

George Byron

Reaction score
Hi all.
As title says, i can bypass my pressure switch by hooking up my main power wires to the pump wires and the pump runs fine. Hook the pressure switch up and nothing. I have 120V on both legs coming in but 0 on the pump side of switch. Contacts 'appear' to be closed aswell.

After the 3rd new pressure switch i figure there might be something else going on. Any ideas?

Pump is an

Everbilt
3/4 HP Submersible 2-Wire Motor 10 GPM Deep Well Potable Water Pump

And the switch is

Square D 40/60-PSI Plastic Exterior Pressure Switch

Incase it matters.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have 120V on both legs coming in but 0 on the pump side of switch. Contacts 'appear' to be closed aswell.
What is the voltage between the incoming legs? That would be between #1 and #4 in the diagram if your pump is wired this way.

If 240 volts, what voltage do you get from #1 to #2, and what voltage do you get from #3 to #4,

index.php

George Byron

Reaction score
New development :/
I checked the wires when bypassing and just running the pump and they were reading 238ish across both hots.
Re-wired up the pressure switch, turned breaker back on it tripped and fused the contacts on the incoming side of the pressure switch.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
New development :/
I checked the wires when bypassing and just running the pump and they were reading 238ish across both hots.
Re-wired up the pressure switch, turned breaker back on it tripped and fused the contacts on the incoming side of the pressure switch.
Then you most likely have a direct short some where.

George Byron

Reaction score
I am trying to understand how it runs fine without the pressure switch but not with it though. The breaker didn't trip while bypassing.

George Byron

Reaction score
*groans* Never mind guys. Reachs picture says it all. My numbers got faded on my wires and i hooked the 2 lines from the main to 1 and 2 and the 2 wires from the pump to 3 and 4

main-qimg-a35af10f8d87a3bf953f4dee9141e4df.webp

Sorry for wasting your time BUT thanks for the help and replies....off the Lowes AGAIN

George Byron

Reaction score
Well, waddya know! Seems when you wire shit up the right way it doesn't go bang fizzle :)
Thanks again for the help guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks