Buzzing Water Boiler Transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

Tobi

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a WEIL-McLAIN CGA-5-SPDN that was installed in 2007. It has been making a buzzing sound lately. I opened the front panel and put my ear and followed the sound to a transformer model R8285D 1000. I looked that part up and saw that it is discontinued but they have a replacement part (https://www.supplyhouse.com/Weil-Mclain-510-312-167-Transformer-Relay-120-24V).

Should I replace the part to avoid having a heating failure in the cold winter or is there anything I should do to repair the current thermostat? Is buzzing a sign of pending failure? Also, should I be considering a different model? I currently have 4 thermostats (3 mercury, 1 digital). In the future I would like to add a zone and have 5 nice digital thermostats.

Thanks.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Buzzing from a transformer or relay coil is from rust building up between the laminate plates. Change it usually not a emergency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks