Buzz vibration after installing cycle stop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
I installed a CSV1A about a month ago.

The cut in pressure is set to 40 psi, the cut off pressure is set to 60 psi.

The working pressure for the CSV1A is around 55 psi, give or take what's using water.

If I use enough water to cause the pump to turn on, there is a buzzing or vibration heard/felt around the CSV1A working pressure (55psi). It goes away once it moves past 55 psi.

Is this normal? It's only felt/heard at the pressure tank. I was in the basement checking something else and heard it, we don't hear it in the shower or anywhere else.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No buzzing is not normal. But it is possible if your pump builds more pressure than the CSV can handle. Do you know the pump model number or GPR series and horsepower?

JoshRountree

Reaction score
No buzzing is not normal. But it is possible if your pump builds more pressure than the CSV can handle. Do you know the pump model number or GPR series and horsepower?

Goulds 1/2 HP - 10 GPM
Pump depth 148'
Static water level 22'

That information should be very accurate. We bought the house 1 year ago and I had the pump pulled and a new well head put in.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No that pump doesn't build too much pressure for the CSV. That is actually a very low pressure pump. So I am thinking you have something stuck in the CSV making it buzz. A rock or a piece of tape maybe. With the pump off and water pressure drained from the system, unscrew the red cap on the CSV1A. Remove the spring, spring cap, and diaphragm washer. Then grab the 10MM bolt head with pliers and pull the gut pack out. Look for something stuck in the bottom of the gut pack. Then put it all back together. If you don't find any debris, just removing and reinstalling the gut pack (diaphragm assembly) may fix the problem, if one of the o-rings is out of place. Call if you need help, and here is a parts breakdown.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/csv1a-parts-breakdown

JoshRountree

Reaction score
That sounds very likely, this well has a good amount of sediment and iron in it.

I may have to do this periodically.

Is there a significant amount of harm being done when it runs like this?

I will have to monitor it but chances are it will run like this from time to time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You would be surprised at the stuff we find in control valves. Rocks, sticks, snails, fish bones, frogs, snakes, rats, bolts, nuts, fishing worms, just to name a few. lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks