Buzz vibration after installing cycle stop valve

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by JoshRountree, Sep 16, 2018.

1. JoshRountree

JoshRountree Member

IT
    I installed a CSV1A about a month ago.

The cut in pressure is set to 40 psi, the cut off pressure is set to 60 psi.

The working pressure for the CSV1A is around 55 psi, give or take what's using water.

If I use enough water to cause the pump to turn on, there is a buzzing or vibration heard/felt around the CSV1A working pressure (55psi). It goes away once it moves past 55 psi.

Is this normal? It's only felt/heard at the pressure tank. I was in the basement checking something else and heard it, we don't hear it in the shower or anywhere else.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    No buzzing is not normal. But it is possible if your pump builds more pressure than the CSV can handle. Do you know the pump model number or GPR series and horsepower?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JoshRountree

JoshRountree Member

IT
    Goulds 1/2 HP - 10 GPM
    Pump depth 148'
    Static water level 22'

That information should be very accurate. We bought the house 1 year ago and I had the pump pulled and a new well head put in.

5. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    No that pump doesn't build too much pressure for the CSV. That is actually a very low pressure pump. So I am thinking you have something stuck in the CSV making it buzz. A rock or a piece of tape maybe. With the pump off and water pressure drained from the system, unscrew the red cap on the CSV1A. Remove the spring, spring cap, and diaphragm washer. Then grab the 10MM bolt head with pliers and pull the gut pack out. Look for something stuck in the bottom of the gut pack. Then put it all back together. If you don't find any debris, just removing and reinstalling the gut pack (diaphragm assembly) may fix the problem, if one of the o-rings is out of place. Call if you need help, and here is a parts breakdown.
    https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/csv1a-parts-breakdown

6. JoshRountree

JoshRountree Member

IT
    That sounds very likely, this well has a good amount of sediment and iron in it.

I may have to do this periodically.

Is there a significant amount of harm being done when it runs like this?

I will have to monitor it but chances are it will run like this from time to time.

7. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Won't hurt a thing except you ears. :)

8. JoshRountree

JoshRountree Member

IT
    HA! If that's the case I might just leave well enough alone and see if it passes the stone by itself!

Who would have ever thought a cycle stop valve would have a kidney stone!?

9. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    You would be surprised at the stuff we find in control valves. Rocks, sticks, snails, fish bones, frogs, snakes, rats, bolts, nuts, fishing worms, just to name a few. lol