Buying House... Tell Me About CPVC ??

Users who are viewing this thread

JerseyShore

Reaction score
Hi... I am buying a house in Florida, gated community, major builder, 8 year old house. Overall immaculate condition. Pipes are CPVC. All too familiar with galvanized and have always used copper. Also familiar with PEX, but CPVC is new to me. What should I be concerned about and should I be looking at a re-pipe in the near future? Any advise will be appreciated.. thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. CPVC in the walls should be good. Outdoor CPVC needs to be protected from sunlight, as with other plastics.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hi... I am buying a house in Florida, gated community, major builder, 8 year old house. Overall immaculate condition. Pipes are CPVC.CPVC is new to me. What should I be concerned about and should I be looking at a re-pipe in the near future? Any advise will be appreciated.. thanks!

Others may say otherwise, but I wouldn't buy a house even with brand new CPVC in it. The thought of turning a stiff hot water shutoff and having it snap off leaving water gushing inside the walls is one of those things that I'd just rather never have to deal wth.

John

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I repiped my house. Not only because it was CPVC though. There were other reasons. I don't think I would repipe simply for being CPVC. But it's not my number one or two choice.

Douggieohare

Reaction score
CPVCs are easier to mount, and they are pretty common in Europe. The thing is, they need to be protected from sunlight and other external influences but other than that, they are completely fine.
I would suggest you take a closer look at all the pipelines in the house, all the joints, because it is where problems might occur. It would be even better if you ordered a house survey from a company like S Jones Surveying. They would check all the possible flaws in the house and name you the actual price of the house. It’s really advisable to do that before the purchase.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks