Buying a house with CSST? Opinions needed

Users who are viewing this thread

cowboyjosh78

Reaction score
So as ya'll might know from previous postings Im a custom home builder. I personally don't care for CSST gas pipe, but have used it in the past and in times when we finish out basements, etc. A part of me thinks the lightning issues is crap. One of the reason I think its crap is because Im convinced if the gas lines, along with the other mechanicals are installed with good workmanship, problems will be few, if any. I also feel "bonding" to keep equal potential across all systems is useless as a #6 will do nothing compared to the power of a lightning strike.

Why bring this up you ask? I have a potential buyer for one of my current personal residences (I have 2); and I don't really have time to build something to my own spec; which is perfect timing for a long time competitor / friend of mine. He is sitting on a house and willing to take a lowball cash offer (over 400k off asking!), his homes are the only ones beside mine that I would consider living in, as they are built like a frickin tank. The issue I have right now is his plumber almost uses CSST gas pipe exclusively. The manifold is bonded and passed inspections by the AHJ, but I am still a bit nervous. It's a no brainer, the house WILL GET LIGHTNING RODS (NFPA 780 Franklin system) anyways to help protect the structure. Supposedly lightning rods and proper bonding reduces if not eliminates the associated lightning rods with CSST. Question to the pluming and HVAC pro's reading this, would you sleep in a house with CSST? Or do you sleep in a house with CSST pipe? Has anyone witnessed first hand a CSST failure? Are my fears irrational?

I know this topic has been brought up before, but instead of "bumping" a old discussion, I thought I'd start off fresh. I am also aware of the horror stories of CSST all over the 'net.

Something funny though. My current house (almost SOLD) is plumbed with the supposedly defective ZURN PEX and fittings, but has black iron gas pipe. The potential new house has Uponor PEX with the Uponor fittings, the Cadillac of PEX, but the house has CSST gas pipe. SO do I want a flood in my current house, or a gas fueled fire in the new house?

All opinions are appreciated.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't use it and won't use is no matter what. Liability is the issue here and for the few dollars that installing CSST may save in the short run, it could couse huge liability issues in the future.

ColSaito

Reaction score
Cowboy - you are 100% right - if a product is installed per the manufacturer's instructions and the local code - there should be no issues. I have 3 lines of CSST in my house furnace, water heater and FP and I sleep fine because I made sure it was bonded to the electrical panel. If you really want to protect the house from lightning - put in a lightning rod system because the lightning can get thru the insulation of Romex a lot easier than it can get thru the CSST plastic jacket and stainless steel liner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks