Bury drip irrigation main connected to hose bib?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eastern

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member and homeowner. This is my first post.

I am in the process of installing drip irrigation into a vegetable garden with raised beds. I am trying to keep things simple and as inexpensive as possible. Home Depot carries Dig products, and for now these are what I plan to use. They carry quarter inch in-line emitter tubing with 6 inch spacing that I think will work well for my purposes.

I am wondering if there is a way to connect the system to the hose bib on the house about 20 to 30 feet away using buried pipe of some sort. PVC? I don't want to cut directly into our water supply line but would like to use the hose bib. I know that I will need a filter, back flow preventer etc. Can these then connect to a pipe that goes directly into the ground? Looking around online, it doesn't look like this is done. Dig recommends half-inch pipe for connecting to the quarter inch in-line emitter tubing.

I was thinking that I would like this underground pipe to come up into each of the beds by an inside corner. I could then attach a shut off valve and water each bed separately if needed.

Is this plan feasible? Thanks in advance for any advice!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The 1/2" "black pipe" is NOT suitable for line pressure ahead of any control valves. The water goes to a control valve, is reduced to the proper pressure and THEN goes to the "black pipe" with the emitters into it.

Deurgo

Reaction score
Hi Eastern,

A typical installation setup for that sort of pipe would consist of a few things. Firstly at the faucet you'll need a twin tap adapter (this will make it easier if you decide to use a garden hose as well as your irrigation system without having to disconnect and reconnect fittings etc) then you'll need a tap timer (if required otherwise manual operation would suit just fine), then install a pressure relief valve typically to around 250KPA or around 35PSI whichever you're familiar with, from there you can install an inline filter of sorts, and now you can safely connect to your black 1/2" garden poly pipe - from here it's pretty straight forward with an assortment of elbows, tees etc to get the supply to where you need it to be. Then connect your drip tube to this mainline and voila you're done! hopefully this helped you..

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks