Burnham Boiler Pauses Making Hot Water

Users who are viewing this thread

FMcCracken

Reaction score
We have a Burnham MegaSteam Boiler MST629. It provides steam to radiators and hot water to 3 full bathrooms. There is no recirculating pump. The wait for hot water really isn't that bad. Boiler kicks in 20 seconds after a hot water is turned on and stays on as long as the valve is open.

The problem is that about 7 minutes into a shower, the water cools down considerably for about a minute - a LONG minutes. Feels like forever. Then, it seems to provide hot water indefinitely. If the next person showers immediately thereafter, no problem, If the next shower is 20 minutes later, cooling cycle repeats.

Why?

Is there a way to avoid this "pause" without installing a reserve/ holding tank? If a holding tank is the only solution, do I install a regular hot water heater or is there a type that simply maintains temp rather than heats the water from cold temperature?

Frankie

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A coil inside the boiler has a rating of how many GPM it is capable of generating

When I used to install these I would put a flow restrictor inline on the discharge pipe so it would reduce the amount of water leaving the coil so people did not run it of hot water while showering

Unlike a tank most residential coils do not provide enough GPM to allow for showering without a flow restrictor or any other appliance /fixture to be used

Also
The domestic coil may need to be flushed. If you look at the manufacturer ratings, they should tell you how many GPM of hot water it will produce.

FMcCracken

Reaction score
A coil inside the boiler has a rating of how many GPM it is capable of generating

When I used to install these I would put a flow restrictor inline on the discharge pipe so it would reduce the amount of water leaving the coil so people did not run it of hot water while showering

Unlike a tank most residential coils do not provide enough GPM to allow for showering without a flow restrictor or any other appliance /fixture to be used

Also
The domestic coil may need to be flushed. If you look at the manufacturer ratings, they should tell you how many GPM of hot water it will produce.

Tankless water heater supplies 4.00 GPM. Heated water is connected to a Watts LFN170 tempering valve.

F

Fitter30

Reaction score
Watts lfn170 is a commercial valve with a minimum flow rate of 3 gpm max 15 that's paraffin controlled. Valve made for residential with flow rate closer to your rated coil flow for more precise control. Other thing to check coil flow rate to temperature rise.

FMcCracken

Reaction score
Watts lfn170 is a commercial valve with a minimum flow rate of 3 gpm max 15 that's paraffin controlled. Valve made for residential with flow rate closer to your rated coil flow for more precise control. Other thing to check coil flow rate to temperature rise.

Would a TACO 5003 Mixing Valve be better/ best?

Frankie

Fitter30

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks