Burner Assembly is Stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yesterday I came across a 38 gal gas Rheem WH model PROG38-38U RH60 and the Burner Assembly won't come out.
First time that I can't get a burner out, and I've worked on so many Rheem/GE WHs before.
Any clues?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Here is the exploded view from the owner manual. There are what looks like at least eight screws and nuts to be removed. You didn't mention you can wiggle it out or it's still attached to something? I hope this helps.

https://cdn.globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=E64A8A98-7023-4EC8-8E50-F2CCFCBD52D4

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 4.35.21 PM.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks WF, that's the diagram I needed, but I didn't have time to look for it last night.
Yesterday I was hoping to be able to get the whole thing out as is, but the opening is too small.
Removing the 4 hex nuts will separate the inner door from the burner, and I'll be able to pull them out one by one.

Then get it going (I think the thermocouple and the sparker are gone), try it, clean the inside burner chamber and put it together.
I hope to get parts from Rheem, since this WH has been in service about a year, even though this model has been discontinued.

In the meantime, I got the folks a loaner water heater yesterday.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Phog,
Well, good customers get good service, actually excellent service.
Nobody wants to be without hot water, not even for a short time.
I have a few WHs in storage, and it takes me an hour to exchange a WH, once I empty it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks