Burned well pump control panel

Users who are viewing this thread

ZekeQA

Reaction score
Yesterday i replaced the pressure switch on my well pump. I actually read the directions instead of just putting it back the way it was. It looked like the line and motor wires were switched so I put them according to the directions (I think the motor on the inside terminals and the line on the outside.

Today my well quit. It looks like the control box got very hot. Is this because of the switch wiring?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20220704_190523.jpg
    20220704_190523.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 123

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't recognize your control box.

Normally the Main winding is yellow to black, and Start winding is yellow to red. Main winding has lower resistance than the start winding. Measuring black to red should give you a resistance that is the sum of the other two resistances.

It could be that somebody put a non-standard pump in. What brand is your control box?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yesterday i replaced the pressure switch on my well pump. I actually read the directions instead of just putting it back the way it was. It looked like the line and motor wires were switched so I put them according to the directions (I think the motor on the inside terminals and the line on the outside.

Today my well quit. It looks like the control box got very hot. Is this because of the switch wiring?

Thanks in advance!!
The pressure switch will work with either configuration. But good to keep it standard. Pressure switches and control boxes both get hot/burned from a pump cycling on and off too much. You could have had a lose connection, but usually the start capacitor gets hot from too much starting and it and/or the start relay melt down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks