BURKS PUMPS Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

GUYUPNORTH

DIY - HVAC-R Installer & Serviceman
Reaction score
Im hoping to get a further understanding of how my well is performing and maybe get some recomendations on what options i have to improve the well performance in the future.

Well Driller left a sticker in 1989 - 66 ft deep with 63 foot of casing. I have a 2 foot tall casing in the yard that has a cap. I removed the cap and can see a 1 inch pipe down the casing - dropped a weighted string down the 1 inch pipe and its 5 foot down and stops - I assume thats a pittless adapter and the 1 inch pipe is to pull the well pipe out. Inside the basement a 2" horizonatal pipe comes through the wall 4 inches and has a 1/2 hp BURKS Model 5HNA hanging on the stub - connected to the stub with a packer adapter (I think). On the discharge of the pump a TEE supplys water to the house and has a bladder tank mounted on the top of the tee. The pump switch is a 20/40 and the bladder tank has 38 psi. The BURKS is delivering 6 gpm (measured running)

BURKS PUMPS Questions?
Can anyone here tell me where to get a 5HNA -PUMP TECH MANUEL or Identify the pump? How does this pump work? What type of pump is this? What is that casing adapter do on this pump (see pictures below).

Here are some of my observations
The pump on time from stop is less than a minute and when the use point is shut off the pump shuts off within 15 seconds.

In the future - Id like to get more pressure out of the system, as well as some more flow - We have 9 use points and I'm thinking this system could be updated. I plan on getting a weighted string back in the casing to find out the water level and and my suction lift on this system.

Attachments

• 20200321_152656.jpg
    20200321_152656.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 20180618_084134_IMG_0071.JPG
    20180618_084134_IMG_0071.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200321_152820.jpg
    20200321_152820.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 152

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The pump switch is a 20/40 and the bladder tank has 38 psi.
Are you getting the 20/40 from a label or confirmed by observing a known good pressure gauge?
How are you measuring 38 PSI on the tank? The air pressure gauge needs to be calibrated to the water pressure gauge.
The air precharge has to be measured when the water pressure is zero. The precharge should be around 3 to 5 PSI less than the cut-in setting.

GUYUPNORTH

DIY - HVAC-R Installer & Serviceman
Reaction score
Are you getting the 20/40 from a label or confirmed by observing a known good pressure gauge?
How are you measuring 38 PSI on the tank? The air pressure gauge needs to be calibrated to the water pressure gauge.
The air precharge has to be measured when the water pressure is zero. The precharge should be around 3 to 5 PSI less than the cut-in setting.

20/40 is from the switch label - air pressure measure with a tire gauge. From your reply - i have some work to do since i have no system pressure gauge. I may try to install one somewhere at the pump. I assume that this method will pretty much give me optimal performace using my 20/40 switch as currently set.....

Reach4

Reaction score
I may try to install one somewhere at the pump.
If the pressure gauge is not mounted on the pump, can you tee off the path to the pressure switch and add a pressure gauge there?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The ejector is mounted to the front of the pump and attached to the 2" pipe. Looks like you may have 2" well casing? You didn't say. That maybe why you can't get a string down the well. You can buy a test gauge and connect to any faucet. Or there looks like an extra 1/4" plug on the back of the pump, and you could put a gauge there. 20/40 and 30/50 are really low pressures. You need something that will do 40/60 if you want better pressure, but we need to know how deep it is to water?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks