Buried vent pipe in shower bed

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_Qtile

Reaction score
I have a downstairs bathroom which I am going to tile.

Shower is on the slab with drain coming up through, Approx 10x10 gravel hole in slab for drain.

Ripped out the old shower cubicle, the vent pipe ran horizontal in shower floor (mud) over the cubicle wall.

Redid this running vent pipe horizontal over to wall. See photo.

My primary question was, can I do a good job with a thick reinforced mud base(6-7 inches) re-embedding the vent pipe in the mud base? But then the tile guys suggested to plumb this properly the vent pipe should run below grade over to the wall and vent up and so not as shown in the picture.

Is this critical? I think the existing plumbing may not support a very much lower vent pipe but I have not dug into the gravel yet.

Can I imbed the vent pipe in a mud bed as it was previously and have it last for 30 years?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The photo from your computer can be attached, but not linked from your home computer.
Attachements can be up to 800 pixels.
Normally vents are vertical until they are 42" above the floor. Trap arms on showers can be up to 60" before the vent.
You do need a vent somewhere there. In the past, I used to run some vents low, but codes are changing and now they don't like that unless they are washed by another fixture. Or really, a way to snake the line if needed to make it clear if it becomes clogged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks